Birds & a Goat

royalWITHcheese2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scottchamberland.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are some pictures I had to take for a school project, let me know what you think.

DSC_1661.jpg

Chamberland_20080614_1614.jpg

Chamberland_20080614_1580.jpg

#2 reminds me of Riff Raff from Rocky Horror. Nice capture and detail btw. The isolation of subject to background is also well done. I might would crop a little different to remove the bright blur and to move it so there is more space to the right rather than centered.

Like the expression and pose of #3 but the background is distracting to me.

#1 - meh. Looks like you just walked up to the goat and pushed the shutter button without any forethought.

I agree with Kundalini about 2 and 3. 2 is certainly the strongest shot here!

1 has a few problems:
a) it is overexposed - you can see the white areas are overly bright and you are losing details in them - my guess is that it was a sunny day with some clouds and that for shots 2 and 3 the clouds covered the sun well whilst for 1 it was exposed. A tip is when shooting in the high parts of the day under the sun is to set your expsure compensation to -1 (if you are shooting in aperture priority mode or shutter priority mode) or underexpose by -1 if you are in manual mode. This will help prevent the whites from blowing out and preserve the details, you can brighten up in edting if needed later.

b) unlike 2 and 3 this shot is more "snapshotty" as you are viewing the goat very much from the same angle as a person would normally view one from = a big help with animals and wildlife photography is to get down low and shoot from their eye level (or lower) as this gives a sight that humans don't normally see.

Good work - you have controled the angle of the light well in all 3 - getting the light behind you and illuminated the area of the subject you are photographing = keep up the good work

Thanks for the replies. I know the goat isn't the best, there was just something about it that I liked. I think the background at the top has a little distortion and it just gave it a cool effect for me, but I agree with the clipping in the whites.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back