Black and White Flower

blackphoenix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
C&C Welcomed! Took this picture yesterday and wanted it to be black and white
47442981922_74ba05f471_z.jpg

It looks slightly "muddy" to me...more of what is called "local contrast" would help, I think. Maybe try re-processing it? The composition is good.

I agree, nice composition with some good balance of dark and light in the photo but needs to be brightened up and contrast adjusted. I learned to go for a 'black' black and a 'white' white somewhere in the image. I see light gray and charcoal gray but not white or black.

Also think about framing shots, do you want more of that flower at the top or having it cut off where it is? Think about where you want a photo to 'end', how much of a subject should be in the frame (and what should stay out of the frame).

Echoing Derrel's comment above it's muddy. One thing to remember on a B&W conversion, is that a "good" properly exposed and processed color shot will yield a "good" B&W conversion. You always have more options in processing when you have a full data file. Your image shows almost a 1/2 stop underexposed. When you're underexposed it's hard to get the whites to pop, and the midtones clean. Also, even though it's a B&W WB still affects the crispness of the image. Here's some of the changes I made in LR to show the effect.
12.JPG 123.JPG 1234.JPG 12345.JPG 123456.JPG

And the result of these adjustments.
47442981922_74ba05f471_z-2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back