black and white via PS vs Camera setting

scyzoryk_o4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a quick question; is there a diference in shooting in digital black and white VS just converting color into black and white via Photoshop?

I would say, you have more control in Photoshop. I think that is the general consensus. Also, if you wanted it in color, doing B&W in camera you will never be able to go back to color. Going Photoshop, you always have the color available.

Basically your camera gives you one BW conversion option, while Photoshop offers many. Some methods may be very similar to what your camera does when it discards the color info. One of the more popular conversion methods is to use the channel mixer, which creates the effect of shooting BW with colored filters to adjust tones. For instance if you were using a red filter, or converted a color photo to BW using mainly the red channel in PS, red colored parts of your subject would be lighter in tone, while cyan (opposite of red) colored parts would be darker. To use the channel mixer you need to start with a color photo.

Here's a site that has most of the common digital BW conversion methods

http://www.blackandwhitedigital.com/

Most reactions

Back