Black Back Drop Help

I really don't care how I light it.

Why are you taking photos then? Light is the crux of photography. It's almost the same as saying, "I don't care how my pictures look". Of course you do. If you take the time to learn a little about lighting styles, you'll start to see what is possible, and then you'll develop a taste for what you want.

Get that book!

Of course I care! I really love this stuff. I have read several books. Maybe not the right ones. Thanks for the help

I am still somewhat new to lighting techniques and usually take portraits only but i thought I might could help. This is only my style but I like to position lights at 90 degree angles from the subject to get even lighting and try to position them far enough away from the backdrop. Also, I use my appature setting when using a black backdrop.

Thank you so much for your comments. I have been using one big soft box and one small soft box for my lighting set up. The big one is positioned about 90 degrees from my subject and the smaller one is on the other side. I would say that the lights along with my subject create a triangle. I set my lights really really low and use a wide open aperature to blur out the background.

What are your aperature settings? If I set my aperature at 11 I get too much noise on my subject and on the background. I meter my lights at about 3.2 all around. Does that sound right, or am I totally off? My photos normally turn out alright, but I have to fix them up a little bit on Photoshop.

I also get weird pixelation on my photos as well no matter what backdrop I am using. Have you ever experienced that? Its extremely hard to see, but I can always see it on my prints. I can see it on my monitor as well If I turn it at an angle.

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it. If you can give me anymore feedback It would be greatly appreciated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back