Black background try #2

shootermcgavin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think I'm going to have to give up on trying to black out a photo with a white wall behind it, still have a little under exposed while not totally blacking out the background. But on a positive note I have 100% fulfilled my facebook photographer status. I didn't place much importance on the watermark until I found out that was one of the requirements of becoming a facebook photographer so I had my design guy cook up this nifty little watermark for me and I have to say I'm quite pleased with myself for approving it. It will start to grow in time and eventually have ribbons cutting across the page to draw the eye to it even more, but I have to build up to that status level.

saminternet.jpg

How far was your model from the backdrop? And as you stated, it is significantly underexposed.

I think I'm going to have to give up on trying to black out a photo with a white wall behind it, still have a little under exposed while not totally blacking out the background.
You should familiarize yourself with the Inverse Square Law and its effects with light and light falloff. Here's a starter video for you.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/adoramatv#p/c/7DE50CFC19370404/29/f5BIvSBjvLg[/video]

You can have a totally black background even if your actual background is white while still properly exposing your subject.

I think roughly I was about 12 feet from background, f22 with 1/250 shutter... I don't really think there is much else I could have done as I had no where to move, the flash was 100% and real close to subject and I was still getting a slight background showing up. I believe I was maxed out with the inverse square law if I couldn't get the light source any closer to the subject and couldn't get the subject any further away from the background at that point I'm SOL. I just have one speed light going through umbrella with a reflector opposite, if I had another speed light that might help the problem but I think I'll just wait until I find a studio to rent so I can play around with stuff and not have to worry about tearing down set up or backgrounds. Thanks for the comments!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back