What's new

Black on Black

shinycard255

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 27, 2012
Messages
166
Reaction score
64
Location
IL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The usual, C&C please!

stapler.jpg
 
Nicely done! I too wish the reflection was not cropped.. but I do love the lighting in that image! :thumbup::thumbup:
 
So 2 people prefer seeing the whole reflection. Should have never cropped off the reflection in Capture One before I processed. :( Oh well, I'll just spend another hour or 2 retouching it with the full reflection... or maybe I could just add onto this shot. Give me some time and I'll post an updated shot with full reflection at some point today
 
Last edited:
VERY cool, but like the others, I'd like to see the entire mirrored image
 
I never cared for sharp, detailed, mirrored reflections in product shots. They seem redundant and confusing.
 
I don't want the whole reflection. The reflection is secondary, you've placed the subject in the frame in a good spot. In order to get the reflection in the frame, you have to move the subject somewhere less fortuitous and as a bonus, the subject becomes the stapler+reflection, neither of which is particularly desirable.

I'm a little put off by the fact that there's more apparent light on the back of the stapler in the reflection than in the real thing. It's physically possible, but it feels wrong, and also tends to overemphasize the reflection (causing people to want to see the whole thing).

The lighting on this is really good. Well done.
 
I never cared for sharp, detailed, mirrored reflections in product shots. They seem redundant and confusing.
I agree with this. In my opinion, the crop is fine as is; however, I would darken it a bit.
 
Taking what bitter said gave me a bit of a vision. maybe no one will like it, but at this point it's all about taste.

two edits.

first image kept solid lines and detail in main stapler image, textured and stuff to background and reflection.
second image with darker reflection and slight disruption to perfection



$stapler3.webp




$stapler2.webp
 
I like it a lot crisp clear shots are always a winner. I think the crop is just fine as well, the reflection isn't the main subject.
 
It's good lighting but I do like the 2nd edit Pallycow did.
 
I'd like to see the SOOC.
 
Give me some time and I will post a few other edits tonight. (Full reflection and same crop but with toned down reflection)

I never cared for sharp, detailed, mirrored reflections in product shots. They seem redundant and confusing.
I agree with this. In my opinion, the crop is fine as is; however, I would darken it a bit.

To be honest, it's not really my cup of tea either. I'd prefer to see nice gradients than crisp, sharp edges. I saw a few shots done like this and told myself I need one for my portfolio since I don't have a shot like that, plus it shows off how well I can control light if need be.

I don't want the whole reflection. The reflection is secondary, you've placed the subject in the frame in a good spot. In order to get the reflection in the frame, you have to move the subject somewhere less fortuitous and as a bonus, the subject becomes the stapler+reflection, neither of which is particularly desirable.

I'm a little put off by the fact that there's more apparent light on the back of the stapler in the reflection than in the real thing. It's physically possible, but it feels wrong, and also tends to overemphasize the reflection (causing people to want to see the whole thing).

The lighting on this is really good. Well done.

I agree that the reflection is secondary in this shot. The emphasis should be on the stapler, I'll try toning down the reflection (like people suggested) and see if that will help.

I was having a hard time with the extra light on the butt of the stapler. I was using a reflective papery surface taped to a white board with white gaffers around the edges. I'm assuming it's either the white gaff tape or the reflector was at the wrong angle and it spilled onto the side. Something I could always fix in PS though!

I'd like to see the SOOC.

Since you requested, I shall post them! I had 2 shots that I had to compose together since I had a reflector blocking part of the stapler in order to get one of the edges to "pop"
 
Stapler with full reflection (I'm not digging it):
staplerfullref.jpg





Original Crop with reflection toned down:
stapler2.jpg





Original Crop with reflection toned down and light leak fixed (my favorite so far):
stapler3.jpg





Stapler SOOC (after focus stacking and merging 2 shots together to get rid of a shiny card that was in the shot):
staplersooc.jpg
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom