Black problem

Rhys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I put a pocketwatch on a piece of black foamboard.

This is the best photo I managed to get with my setup as shown below. Where did I go wrong? I wanted the black to be jet black and it hasn't come out as well as it looks in real life.
2230966082_61accc0378.jpg

2230966150_963973f8f2.jpg

the foam probably isnt "soft enough"? i dunno, i would use like a dark black cloth maybe? or felt? or raise the object off the background some how?

i would say try using silk!

Your camera's meter will always try to turn what it sees, into 18% grey (or thinks that everything it sees is 18% grey)
So, with so much black in the scene, the camera just thinks it's dark and gives you more exposure. You have to out think your camera and subtract exposure. Or, you could just use a grey card for metering.

Taking a closer look, you are using flash. To get your background to appear black, you need to limit the amount of light hitting it...or at least get more light onto the subject than the background.

Lastly, you could try opening the image with Photoshop (or other). Open layers, choose the black point dropper and click on the background.

I went the other way. I think there are too many marks on that black foam.

How's this? Would this look out of place in a catalogue? If so, why?

2231044156_4720ccc511_o.jpg

The reflections on the watch crystal are kind of distracting and the white bg clashes with the silver of the watch. I personally think the black bg would look much better.

Well... not too bad for this sort of work. I would prop up the watch a bit so we can see the face a bit more straight on. The chain can use some attention. There are a couple of kinks and it's line is interrupted by the watch lid. Also there a bit of color shift in the chain.

And watch those reflections! If you don't like what is being reflected in the product (like on the edge of the lid), put something in front of it that make a more desirable reflection.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

I changed the angle a bit. I'm not so sure I like this one but what do you think?
2231152478_9015d25c97_o.jpg

The inside of the case is really busy with its honeycomb design. I would try and hide that as much as possible. It is definitely distracting were the honeycomb meets the solid silver. There are still a few links that need some help.
When I worked at a jewelry and fine art gallery they were always having me take pictures of the jewelry and it was always a battle to get everything perfect! You are really close on this one tho so keep shooting!

Thanks... Meanwhile I discovered green doesn't work too well as a background. I suspect my major problem is that I'm using flash instead of constant lighting.

Well try diffusing your flashes more and moving them back a bit if you can. That will probably even the color out a bit. It looks like the color shifts to yellow with intense light.

I'll have another crack at it later or tomorrow. Right now I have to run off to my insurance agent (30 miles away) to present a form the police gave me to give them when I got rear-ended by somebody not paying attention to the line of stationary traffic in front of them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back