Black&White Challenge: anyone interested in a new challenge every other week?

I can't seem to ever get it together for these things and deadlines are too much like work! lol but I like the idea of B&W challenges, it should be interesting.

And I've said before I'd like to see the Terms on the site changed... They may be similar to a lot of Terms 'out there' but I think they could better enable photographers to protect their work while allowing the site to function as necessary.

I love b&w. Fixes all my color cast/mixed lighting issues.

Perform a specific theme in Black & White every 2 weeks. An ongoing challenge for digital shooters AND film shooters. The starting point of this challenge is learning to "see, think and design" in B&W and not just converting color photos into black and white ...

Who wants to participate?

I'm definitely in.

How about the digital representation of the film image i.e. scanned film vs. scanned print? Any restriction?

I usually have an ample supply of short rolls I load from a 100ft roll.

This would be good incentive and a source of subject ideas to "finish off a roll", not that any one of us have cameras lying around with unshot frames in them.....

Has a b/w challenge been created yet at the assignments and challenges area?
If not, when it is, could it be linked here to make it easier for me to find the first one?

If not, when it is, could it be linked here to make it easier for me to find the first one?

Nope, I've checked everything until 2005 and there's nothing like this.
Let me launch the first B&W Challenge next Sunday and we'll see if it's easy to find in the photo-assignments-technical-challenges section, I think so. If it really all becomes successful in the year 2020, then perhaps there's something to come up with if this challenge would be hard to find, but it seems to me rather premature to talk about something like that at the moment.

Let me launch the first B&W Challenge next Sunday and we'll see if it's easy to find in the photo-assignments-technical-challenges section, I think so. If it really all becomes successful in the year 2020, then perhaps there's something to come up with if this challenge would be hard to find, but it seems to me rather premature to talk about something like that at the moment.
Loaded up 6 short rolls (12 ex). Im ready to go. I bought my yearly supply as I have done in the past few years. This year I ordered a 100ft roll of HP5+ along with the TriX, I want to experiment with this film stock in 2020. I bought a 100ft roll of TriX, 2 bricks of FP4 for 120, 2 5pks of ortho 80 120, 5 pack of ortho 80 35, 4 5pks of porta 400 120, 2 5 pks of 35 portra 400. 10 rolls of Ultra max 400 35, and some 120 and 35 of lomography color. That should get me through the year. I also have all the chemicals I need. Just need to buy some paper, I have 200 dollars left to get that, probably kentmere brand.

Thank you GK. I'll be checking this thread to see when you say you've posted the new challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos that folks post.
Out of curiosity I went to Flickr and counted. Out of my last 200 postings, 20% were some form of monochrome.

GK, a question for you regarding parameters of your proposed challenge.
Are you thinking straight black and white or will your definition be inclusive of sepia toning, cyan toning and other tonings often considered monochrome?

Last edited:
Just bought 2 packs of black and white Instax film - should make a fun change from digital for any of the challenge that may suit the tiny, slightly blurry images.

Thank you GK. I'll be checking this thread to see when you say you've posted the new challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos that folks post.
Out of curiosity I went to Flickr and counted. Out of my last 200 postings, 20% were some form of monochrome.

GK, a question for you regarding parameters of your proposed challenge.
Are you thinking straight black and white or will your definition be inclusive of sepia toning, cyan toning and other tonings often considered monochrome?

I don't know, difficult, as long as everyone starts with a black and white positive or negative image as a BASIS before coloring, editing etc., then we are already on the right track.

In art, a work is considered monochrome if the hues are close enough to the human eye, but in fact it doesn't have to be a black and white photo or considered as such, if I photograph a setting sun in color then the shades of yellow-orange are close to each other and you can call this a monochrome, but such a monochrome you can't categorize as black and white photo.

Let me put it this way, whoever wants to give his black and white photos a sepia or blue tint in post or print before scanning, should do so. I want to try to get a nice and not to complicated BLACK & WHITE challenge off the ground, I'd really like it if a few people regularly participate and also want to leave something to the feeling and common sense of the participants.

For an idea I've chosen 4 extreme examples that I find acceptable within the term black and white, perhaps this will help.

View attachment 185004
View attachment 185003
View attachment 185005
View attachment 185006

Last edited:
Ah, seeing the notification that this thread had a new post from Saturday tells me that the first b/w challenge has been created.
I guess that challenge is already at the second week of its time frame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back