Black & White Challenge: candid photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I always assumed something closer to Gerard’s definition of candid. You may be aware that someone is there with a camera taking pictures, but you’re not directly interacting with them. I think if I were speaking with someone and all of a sudden they pointed a camera at me and took a picture, and I was aware of it and saw it happening, I wouldn’t consider it a candid. If I was unaware of them taking a picture, then I guess I would consider it a candid.

I personally think it all has to do with the subject and if the subject reacts to the camera. YMMV.

I could use some feedback / tips on how to take color digital photos and render them in B&W for the best result. One thing I add is a bit of grain to approximate film (I find digital a bit sharp for my taste in B&W) but I struggle with contrast and getting a good balance between whites, grays and dark areas. Are there any tricks to adjusting the color image first before converting to B&W? It might also just be the subject matter itself. The shots that I have been satisfied with I could tell when I shot them would lend themselves to B&W.

How about an actual adult response rather than three, repeated churlish X's in disagreement? Surely if you feel so strongly you can defend your position using a few words at least,no?

For many years the way to convert color to Black and White was using Photoshop's channel mixer... But I think a better method has now been developed by Adobe, which is their color filter effect preset method, which does a pretty good job of me making the various color filters that we used to use in black and white film days.

I am still using a set of free presets that Matt Kozlawski (so?) Was giving away back in 2012. You can of course make your own modifications to any Lightroom preset . the standard Adobe assortment of presets that comes with each version of Lightroom includes some sepia-tone looks and other types of black and white looks. You can use one or two or even three or six presets one combined with the other, and I have done this myself many times.

As far as adding grain, there are a few fake grain effects available. I have basically almost no experience with this, so perhaps others will chime in.

I could use some feedback / tips on how to take color digital photos and render them in B&W for the best result. One thing I add is a bit of grain to approximate film (I find digital a bit sharp for my taste in B&W) but I struggle with contrast and getting a good balance between whites, grays and dark areas. Are there any tricks to adjusting the color image first before converting to B&W? It might also just be the subject matter itself. The shots that I have been satisfied with I could tell when I shot them would lend themselves to B&W.
Mike, I sent you a Conversation message.

any picture of people going about their daily business without the photographer directing them into a specific pose falls under the umbrella of candid photo.

This is absolutely correct. I think the confusion is coming from the contradiction in the OP statement. I have thousands of pictures of my kids. All are candid. Some they turn and look at me, some they don’t. Are the shots where they look at me no longer considered to be candid?

As far as adding grain, there are a few fake grain effects available. I have basically almost no experience with this, so perhaps others will chime in.

I use the Nik Collection BW conversion machine (whatever it’s called). I recommend avoiding the presets altogether, or use them as a jumping off point. This software gives you full control of how the individual colors are converted to BW... so basically you can go full manual, in that regard. There are also settings for adding grain and similar features. It has presets that were designed to mimic the old school films. Sometimes I start there and adjust manually as needed

I am looking forward to seeing some photos shot from blinds/hides, through two-way mirrors, and through peep-holes

heheheeeeee!! Very good

DSC_0678 (1).jpeg

People get upset because they're passionate. We're all passionate about our own photography. Some, like @gk fotografie, are passionate about others' photographic journey as well. Passionate enough to plan and conduct a weekly learning exercise for the benefit of others- without compensation. For that reason my opinion is that Gerard can use the definition of "candid" that he posted in the OP and he can be grumpy about his rules if he wants.

The kids certainly knew I was there taking photos (so, not candid?) but they were playing with each other without regard for making a pose for the camera (candid?). To be honest when I see someone smiling directly at the camera that doesn't make me think "candid". But I can see it may be harder to define.

Merriam-Webster definition: relating to or being photography of subjects acting naturally or spontaneously without being posed.

A candid can look into the camera on the subjects own term, without being posed as in a portraiture.

Reading back, I can see we are all willing to provide our interpretations of the definition.

The OP chose his interpretation as the basis for his challenge...

Another from last Monday. After receiving my purchase I went into this store looking for Kim.
I caught a few photos before the guys setting up the window display knew I was shooting.

50364267228_cf72195497_z.jpg

Do we know when this theme finishes? Is it one week (and now past) or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back