Black & White Challenge: candid photography

Discussion in 'Photo Assignments & Technical Challenges' started by gk fotografie, Sep 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    His two posts above have been edited. I am not sure that his first post was as it appears now on Thursday. it was edited on Monday. I am not sure about the time difference between Mark's post and GK photography's area, or as it relates to my area on the west coast of North America. I am not suggesting that the brief was edited to reflect GK's own definition after the accusation was made against Mark for having posed the subject.but I do think that my definition of candid photography is the more accepted one;street photography for example is often referred to as candid, even though people know that you are there photographing them.

For a person to be truly unaware that there is a camera pointed at them seems a bridge too far for me. unless you are using a very long focal length lens or are shooting through glass such as from a car or a house shooting thru the window, or are taking voyeuristic and hidden camera photos, then I think the more traditionally accepted definition of candid photography means not posed. But of course the guy running the contest can call the shots and if he requires people not to be aware of having been photographed, then that is his right.

I am looking forward to seeing some photos shot from blinds/hides, through two-way mirrors, and through peep-holes, and of course some photos shot with 500 to 1,000 mm lenses,either conventional or catadioptric.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    If a key characteristic of a candid photo is that the subjects are unaware that they are being photographed, then what are we to make of the children playing on the trampoline?

are we to suppose that they were completely unaware that there was a grown man standing within 15 ft of them and pointing a large camera at them? Are we to assume that they were so blissfully engaged in their play that they failed to see an adult with a camera repeatedly making pictures?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The juxtaposition of their shirts makes me laugh.

20200915174146_R6__0894-01.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dean_Gretsch

Dean_Gretsch Always looking... Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What's that old saying...opposites attract?

5. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I guess I always assumed something closer to Gerard’s definition of candid. You may be aware that someone is there with a camera taking pictures, but you’re not directly interacting with them. I think if I were speaking with someone and all of a sudden they pointed a camera at me and took a picture, and I was aware of it and saw it happening, I wouldn’t consider it a candid. If I was unaware of them taking a picture, then I guess I would consider it a candid.

I personally think it all has to do with the subject and if the subject reacts to the camera. YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  6. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I could use some feedback / tips on how to take color digital photos and render them in B&W for the best result. One thing I add is a bit of grain to approximate film (I find digital a bit sharp for my taste in B&W) but I struggle with contrast and getting a good balance between whites, grays and dark areas. Are there any tricks to adjusting the color image first before converting to B&W? It might also just be the subject matter itself. The shots that I have been satisfied with I could tell when I shot them would lend themselves to B&W.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    How about an actual adult response rather than three, repeated churlish X's in disagreement? Surely if you feel so strongly you can defend your position using a few words at least,no?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    For many years the way to convert color to Black and White was using Photoshop's channel mixer... But I think a better method has now been developed by Adobe, which is their color filter effect preset method, which does a pretty good job of me making the various color filters that we used to use in black and white film days.

I am still using a set of free presets that Matt Kozlawski (so?) Was giving away back in 2012. You can of course make your own modifications to any Lightroom preset . the standard Adobe assortment of presets that comes with each version of Lightroom includes some sepia-tone looks and other types of black and white looks. You can use one or two or even three or six presets one combined with the other, and I have done this myself many times.

As far as adding grain, there are a few fake grain effects available. I have basically almost no experience with this, so perhaps others will chime in.

9. johngpt

johngpt Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mike, I sent you a Conversation message.

10. charlie76

charlie76 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This is absolutely correct. I think the confusion is coming from the contradiction in the OP statement. I have thousands of pictures of my kids. All are candid. Some they turn and look at me, some they don’t. Are the shots where they look at me no longer considered to be candid?

• Like Like x 3
  11. charlie76

Photos OK to edit
    I use the Nik Collection BW conversion machine (whatever it’s called). I recommend avoiding the presets altogether, or use them as a jumping off point. This software gives you full control of how the individual colors are converted to BW... so basically you can go full manual, in that regard. There are also settings for adding grain and similar features. It has presets that were designed to mimic the old school films. Sometimes I start there and adjust manually as needed

12. charlie76

Photos OK to edit

heheheeeeee!! Very good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.