Black&White Challenge: Light from Below

And...an extra one with the so-called Sabattier effect (wikipedia) although in digital photography that name should no longer be used. In the film era I've used this effect thousands of times and everyone knowing I'm a true adept of Man Ray will understand that too (sabattier). Unfortunately, the real experience of the dark room is gone when sitting behind a computer and so is the real sensation about this special effect and pseudo solarization or other dark room techniques. What I can advise in any case is not to use a solarization plugin, because most plugins have a kind of standard, programmed effect that is hardly satisfying. Exploring and experimenting yourself is much more fun, but also more difficult because a repeatable effect is difficult to obtain and for that matter exactly the same as creating the Sabattier effect in the film period!

View attachment 190227

Last edited:
I like it! Something simular crossed my mind last weekend. Nominated POTM april 2020
Thank you @gk. Again, so very kind of you.
I want to tell you how much I appreciate the thoughtful challenges. They're generating some of my favorite images and I am learning much more than I expected. Not only from the process of executing each theme, but also learning from other's submissions. Such a significant benefit.

Thank you, this challenge fulfills the purpose, I think. You show more and more interesting work!! I'm quite fond of b&w photography and I not only hope to convince real "color" enthusiasts that b&w is much more than a possibility to converse less succesfull color images, but also to come up with themes that will take us all a step further in the right direction. Remember that things, like "seeing" and "composition" are really much more important than the fact which (expensive) camera one carries over his/her shoulder.

Rockin' Robot

IMGP5574es.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back