Black & White Conversion CC's Please

Joel_W

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Posted a fence picture the other day that I thought would look better as a Black & White photograph, so I decided to have a go at it, and actually liked it. Then I thought a little crop to remove the area past the fence post on the left would enhance it just a little more, so I did that as well. I like the cropped version best. Sure would like to know if I'm on the right track or not. CC's more then welcome.

Here's the Original which looks kind of dull and lifeless.

DSC_0046 by jaw101, on Flickr

Black & White conversion:

DSC_0046B&W by jaw101, on Flickr

Cropped Black & White conversion:

DSC_0046B&W - Copy by jaw101, on Flickr

Patience little grasshopper... it will happen! ;)

C&C per req: The subject matter is less than interesting, and the image itself could stand to be levled/straightened. With respect to the monochrome; the key words in "black and white" are, oddly enough "black" and "white". This conversion is very mid-tone rich and lacking any distinct white. When you're doing this, make sure that your WB and black, white and grey points are set correctly before you start to convert.

Patience little grasshopper... it will happen! ;)

C&C per req: The subject matter is less than interesting, and the image itself could stand to be levled/straightened. With respect to the monochrome; the key words in "black and white" are, oddly enough "black" and "white". This conversion is very mid-tone rich and lacking any distinct white. When you're doing this, make sure that your WB and black, white and grey points are set correctly before you start to convert.

Thanks for your input. Subject matter is just that, subjective to each of us. That being said, I'll go back to the original, and take your suggestions and rework the image starting with getting proper Black & Whites, although I've got some concerns that I will end up with a rather contrasty picture.

As you can tell, I rarely enter the world of B & W.

I think the entire right half of the shot could be cut off.

bwfencecrop.jpg

I straightened up the post, too.

480Sparky, Nice done. One concern is that with such a crop, that the photo will start to get really busy as I blow it up. I do like the vertical format, and the fact that you removed so much of the un-necessary brush on the right side. I did take a good look at those posts, and you'll notice in the full pictures, that all of them are at various angles. The picture is level as I have a level on my tripod. Just a tough subject to get right.

Think I'll use your crop as and work on the B&W/tone issues. Will post what I come up with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back