Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$9515162827_7c9f498f54_c.jpg

zombiemann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I love the processing on this one. Great job.

GaryT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Very cool, almost looks like it's cgi. What a machine!!!

MiFleur

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
This is not all all my type of shot, but this one is really interesting, love it!
great treatment, interesting perspective and captivating scene!

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Great shot, beautiful bird.

Is that a MiG-21 in the background or something sticking up off the SR-71? There shouldn't be anything there on the Blackbird but it looks like it's growing out of it.

OP
The Barbarian

The Barbarian

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
That appears to be a vertical stabilizer on the aircraft, with what appears to be a third engine. Never saw one like that before; it wasn't that way on the YF-71 (the earlier, fighter model)

Didn't really think about it before. Now I've got a mystery to solve, unless someone knows about it here. (Barbarian checks) Ah, it's a drone.

A Blackbird is on display at "The Museum of Flight", Boeing Field near Seattle-Tacoma Airport. This one is actually an A-12 (early version of the SR-71) with a D-21 drone installed between the vertical stabilizers ( photo at right). The D-21 was designed to be launched from the A-12, flying unmanned over unfriendly territory (accurate designation was the M-21 when mated with the D-21 drone). Kelly Johnson cancelled the program when a D-21 was launched into the area behind the cockpit of the M-21 resulting in loss of the Launch Control Officer's life and loss of the aircraft. The "Museum of Flight" A-12/Drone display is the only combo in existence.
http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/srqt~1.htm

SCraig

Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, that makes sense. The vertical stabs on the SR-71 and YF-12 (NASA version) are on the engine nacelles, and I could see them. It didn't really look like a MiG-21 because I couldn't see a cockpit and the intake "Spike" looked like it was the same material as the main engines, but that was all I could think of.

It is a unique catch! I've never seen a SR-71 with that on it before, so I'm glad you solved the mystery.

I've seen several up-close-and-personal and the never cease to amaze me. Such a truly remarkable airplane, especially for its day and time. I saw a show about it once, and they stated that it was designed and the first prototype built in less than 2 years. This in the early 60's when a computer was a slide rule and there was nothing off-the-shelf about the airplane. Every single thing about it was brand new, had to be designed from scratch, and completely untested. It's a testament to Kelly Johnson and the Skunk Works at Lockheed for certain.

That appears to be a vertical stabilizer on the aircraft, with what appears to be a third engine. Never saw one like that before; it wasn't that way on the YF-71 (the earlier, fighter model)

Didn't really think about it before. Now I've got a mystery to solve, unless someone knows about it here. (Barbarian checks) Ah, it's a drone.

A Blackbird is on display at "The Museum of Flight", Boeing Field near Seattle-Tacoma Airport. This one is actually an A-12 (early version of the SR-71) with a D-21 drone installed between the vertical stabilizers ( photo at right). The D-21 was designed to be launched from the A-12, flying unmanned over unfriendly territory (accurate designation was the M-21 when mated with the D-21 drone). Kelly Johnson cancelled the program when a D-21 was launched into the area behind the cockpit of the M-21 resulting in loss of the Launch Control Officer's life and loss of the aircraft. The "Museum of Flight" A-12/Drone display is the only combo in existence.
SR-71 Questions and Thoughts about the Blackbird

EDL

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
How did you capture it without ghosting the people?

OP
The Barbarian

The Barbarian

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The titanium skin on the bird, when viewed up close, gives it a weird, alien look. Tiny cockpit, monster engines, with no attempt to make them quieter. A total, no-compromises performance aircraft.

JRE313

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Well done!!!

Most reactions

New Topics