Blackwater Falls

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another falls shot from my recent trip to Davis WV.
Comments?

BlackWater.jpg

The water looks clear -- must be the time of year. Nice job with the slow shutter.

Joe

I'm gonna say you got that slow-shutter border-line perfect?! I was at a similar waterfall the other day, only the water was bright orange with iron! Didn't have my camera though :(

I really like it, the slow shutter speed really did it justice. My only critique would be to have left out more of the left, and included more of the right in the photo instead. It would have led you into the water better IMHO. And maybe (not sure, but maybe) a tad slightly further back to include a little more surrounding countryside to frame the falls better, again leaving more open space on the right to right-bottom of the image.

Did you eat at Hellbender or Sirianni's at least? We were there last fall but the light sucked when my friends wanted to walk down to the falls. Davis is one of my favorite places in the state. How recent was your trip? I ask because of Ysarex's comment on the water being clear. With the recent drought we've been having (the falls look really low) the water should be clearer and "Blackwater" refers to the tannins in the water that used to lend it a darker color. They've actually dosed this river to raise the pH so that they could get a better fish population established. That took away some of the dark coloring of the water. Nice shot. Because of the falls being down in the canyon it's hard to get a shot with really good lighting and your shot is a little flat due to that.

Nice... We go there yearly. Very serene area... and lots of deer. I have a bazillion pics of the falls, I just recently took up photography ( about 3-4 months now) and cannot wait to capture this image with my new found knowledge and skills :)

Thanks for all the folks who have taken the time to reply. Infinite_Day, we went on Sunday and came back on Monday. We actually came back a day early as there were no hotel rooms left in the area where there were something like 5K utility workers in the area restoring power. That kinda sucked b/c the plan was to swing by Babcock St Park and shoot the Glade Grist Mill on our way out. We shot until dark both Sunday and Monday and then found that we couldn't find a room for the night and ended up coming back to VA. The only cool place we ate was the Purple Fiddle in Thomas WV. That's kind of a neat town. We spent some time along that waterfront shooting some town pics. I have some posted in the B/W forum. WV is really a beautiful state filled with picturesque places like these falls, Elakala Falls, the Grist Mill. I'd like to come back in the fall and shoot some more. It's about 5.5 hours away which makes it a little inconvenient, but I was very pleased to find that the falls were so accessible with only a short hike. Is it very crowded there in the fall? I know I've been to the Grist Mill several times and find it to be very crowded in the fall when the leaves change.

TMJJK, the deer were very present while we were there and very accustomed to seeing people. They would almost let you get close enough to touch and even then go only a short distance away.

Most reactions

Back