What's new

US Model or Import for less

Niagararoy1 1

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 1, 2009
Messages
13
Reaction score
14
Location
Orlando
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all, hope everyone is enjoying fall weather. So I have not purchased an import model of any camera body in the past. I am debating on getting and saving some $$ on getting a Canon R6 m ii for a full frame mirrorless camera. I don't want to break the bank but want a mirrorless full frame for retirement. Any comments or suggestions from people? I know that the import does not come with the US warranty, but I take good care of my gear. So let me know what you all think.


Thanks
Roy
 
Hello all, hope everyone is enjoying fall weather. So I have not purchased an import model of any camera body in the past. I am debating on getting and saving some $$ on getting a Canon R6 m ii for a full frame mirrorless camera. I don't want to break the bank but want a mirrorless full frame for retirement. Any comments or suggestions from people? I know that the import does not come with the US warranty, but I take good care of my gear. So let me know what you all think.


Thanks
Roy
If you're talking "gray market," you really need to determine whether Canon USA will even touch it. Some, like Nikon, won't. Should you need service, it's like you've not even bought a used Canon USA camera, so its non-"factory" service for repairs. A little risk assessment advised. The extra $$$ might buy you some peace of mind should a fix become necessary.
 
If you're talking "gray market," you really need to determine whether Canon USA will even touch it. Some, like Nikon, won't. Should you need service, it's like you've not even bought a used Canon USA camera, so its non-"factory" service for repairs. A little risk assessment advised. The extra $$$ might buy you some peace of mind should a fix become necessary.
Hey there, I see you are from across the niagara river. I am referring to " grey market". I take good care of my equipment, and have never had to use warranty. I have read that canon does not touch or honor grey market rigs. Thank you for replying so fast. I am about to take off on another retirement vacation and wanted to get the new camera before I leave.

Roy
 
Hey there, I see you are from across the niagara river. I am referring to " grey market". I take good care of my equipment, and have never had to use warranty. I have read that canon does not touch or honor grey market rigs. Thank you for replying so fast. I am about to take off on another retirement vacation and wanted to get the new camera before I leave.

Roy
Your call. "Babying" gear is no protection against baked-in defects. Worth a chance if the savings are substantial; less so if they're <10%.
 
If your going on vacation with it. You should be able to give it a good workout and see if its functioning correctly. I have not bought grey market, but have bought refurbished and used. Though they would work on the refurbished, the only chances is them refusing to work on it at all, under or out of warranty. But other companies will work on it, and possibly cheaper. If you are comfortable with it, why not.
 
Depends on the savings. And the implied warranty by the seller. A Canon from overseas and one locally are the same camera. The brand's good reputation assured it.
One thing that you might consider, I believe even upgrades to the firmware could be affected by this.
I've never updated any of mine, so to me it is a mute point. Lately I've been buying used in excellent or good condition from sites who specialize in this, and have been very happy. Again, these come with warranties.
But worth noting, often in places like B&H, the gray market items are nearly as costly as those that aren't. Not much of a savings there, so do shop around.
Good luck.
 
Just remember that the serial # tells all.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom