Blackwater Falls

Netskimmer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently took a little vacation to Blackwater falls, Smoke Hole Cavern and the Cass Scenic Railroad. I don't have the all the pics ready from the cavern or the Railroad yet but I thought I'd share some of the shots from the falls. I'm not sure if these should be here or in the landscape forum though. I didn't really post them for critique but you may if you wish, I'm always open to constructive criticism.

1. Just a good old fashioned shot of the falls.
$Blackwater Falls 03.jpg

2. A good close-up of the raging water.
$Blackwater Falls 16.jpg

3. Because EVERYONE wants to see waterfalls with a long exposure. I'm not terribly fond of them but it didn't come out bad.
$Blackwater Falls 21.jpg

Last edited:
I rearranged my first post in a more critique friendly format to make it easier for those that might wish to comment on it.

#3 would be my favorite except
1. I wish the bottom of the falls weren't clipped on the right side of the frame and...
2. The partial bench should be cropped on the left.

Thanks Rick. That's actually a large platform, I took some of my shots from there.

Here is a similar shot which is framed better. I didn't use it because it is just a little soft.
$Blackwater Falls 28.jpg

Very nice :thumbup:

Very nice, I have been there many times.

I like both the stop action and the smoothing effect of your shots here, it's a preference that is difficult to pick as I like to see things shown as they are but also like the etheral feel of the longer exposures. I have the same problem picking my waterall shots for the same reason.

The only nit I have is a small one, water tends to fall vertically, because of the angle you took these from it has the appearance of a slight tilt to the left in the image.

Another good closeup shot to pull from that scene would be to shoot tight filling the frame with the right sided falls as they cascade over the different benches/rocks.

Thanks Greybeard, I wish I lived a little closer, it's a 5 hour drive from where I live.

Thanks Tony, I don't get what you are saying about the tilt though. If you could elaborate I would be thankful, I don't know if I could have gotten a clear shot straight-on
without any angles. You mentioned tighter shots of the right waterfall, I took tight shots of all three falls. Here are some of the right one.

1. $Blackwater Falls 06.jpg 2. $Blackwater Falls 07.jpg 3. $Blackwater Falls 10.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, I personally prefer the long exposures. I think that it gives it a really pleasing look.

Most reactions

Back