Blasted telephotos

Brotage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So looking into telephotos, mum did let me take the camera for a stroll today :D. Anyway back to the point, looking at telephotos. I would like to try and get a L series lens, but if you have any suggestions feel free to pop em in.
Here are the ones I've been thinking about

canon 135mm f/2.0L 900$
canon 70-200mm f/2.8L (non-IS) 1100$
canon 70-200m f/4.0L (Non-IS) 550$
canon 200m f/2.8L 650$

I did look at the sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 but it seems a lot of people have been having problems with it.

Other than general walk around it would be mainly be for indoor/outdoor action sports.

initially I was going to get the 70-200mm f/4.0L but im no longer sure if that would be fast enough for indoor gyms/skateparks

I'm worried about the 2 primes because well.. their primes, I would like some flexibility. But the prices are O.K., they look pretty light and portable, and they're fast.

the 70-200mm f/2.8L would be a really nice and flexible for all kinds of stuff. But it's expensive and looks a bit heavy.

Any experience with any of these or suggestions would be appreciated. which one should I get?

*waits for the usual crowd to answer my questions :p*
I'm going to bed soon so I'll try and answer any questions I didn't specify already in the morning.

You need to first decide which side of the fence you prefer... zoom or prime. Until you figure that out.. you'll drive yourself nuts.

If prime... no doubt.. my favorite telephoto prime is the 135m L.

If zoom.. for low light and weight is not an issue... 70-200mm f2.8L. pull for the IS version if you can.

If zoom.. for more general use.. great walk around (outdoors).. you can't beat the 70-200 f4L.

Judging from your post.. 70-200mm f2.8L should fit the bill. I honestly don't know much about the 200mm f2.8L..

the OP never said he was photographing good skateboarders, so I think he should be looking for whatever he can afford to keep as far away as possible.

wait.. for skateparks... don't you want to get in close rather than shoot from far away?

I already have the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 but there would be sometimes you wanna be close and sometimes you definately wanna be far away. (especially if your take pictures of that sketchy kid that always shoots his board out)

I would also like to be able to use it at demos (Board/shoe/skate company brings their team to a park and everyone gets out of the park and watches)

Definitely a zoom in the f/2.8 range would be ideal. Will give you the versatility of zooming in without relocating too often. The EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS is pretty much standard among sports shooter but a bit more than the non-IS version. The f/4 might not be fast enough to stop action unless you can sustain a high shutter by jacking-up the ISO. If you have sufficient light, than it might do. Otherwise a f/2.8 would b prefered. The Sigma gets mixed reviews. Great price for a f/2.8 zoom, but sacrifices build and IQ. Not sure if it has a HSM or not. Really up to you and your standards. The two primes you mentioned are great, but I just find zooms in sporting situations more useful, asides from the multitudes of 300 & 400mm primes.

(especially if your take pictures of that sketchy kid that always shoots his board out)

Haha, damn amateurs. It can happen to anyone though, like Jesus Fernandez in Fully Flared when he shoots out and knocks the fish eye off the film camera *Spanish accent* "We f**ked that man!"

That doesn't actually contribute to your thread in any way. I just saw the word 'skatepark' and that got my interest. Good luck finding a lense though.

Most reactions

Back