Blocking viewfinder in Liveview?

Parisienne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

Just a question of whether people physically cover the viewfinder when taking long exposure photos in liveview?

I notice that when switching on liveview ( on a Canon 80D ), the viewvinder blacks out, lifting the mirror I suppose. Does this sufficiently block stray light from hitting the sensor? Or is a piece oftape, card, or cloth still required?

Thanks in advance,

Pat

If the exposure is long enough and/or there's enough light behind the camera, light can (and usually will) find it's way in and to the sensor. So yes, you will need to cover the viewfinder. Your camera should have come with a cover specifically designed for the purpose.

I have an a7ii (so mirrorless) and when it senses your eye near the viewfinder it turns off the rear lcd off. When I do long exposures I put a piece of tape over the sensor so that it keeps the rear lcd off. I don’t do it so much for light finding it’s way to the sensor

There are two reasons to cover the eyepiece if your eye isn't looking through it doing photography.

One reason is the possibility of light leaks. While some cameras do a decent job of blocking the light when the reflex mirror swings up, not all cameras do and you may find you get leaks.

The OTHER reason is that the camera's built-in light meter is located in near the pentaprism/pentamirror. This means it will end up metering both the light coming through the lens AND the light coming in through the eyecup ... and that's likely to throw off metering accuracy.

Thanks for the replies, i’ll use the factory rubber cover now!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back