Blogging, making irt a habbit?

Not going to deny that's sound advice ;) thank you!

And I don't even photograph people. I do landscapes.

For the type of photography a good blog post would be showings photo and then giving the backstory. Things like the journey you took to make the exposure, was it one of those magic moments like Ansel Adams Moonrise Over Hernandez, or is it an image you you have been trying to get for years and you keep coming back to the same place. Did you have to wake up at 3am and hike 5 miles for it. Things like that something to make the reader feel like they were their with you on the journey to take the photo.

And I don't even photograph people. I do landscapes.

For the type of photography a good blog post would be showings photo and then giving the backstory. Things like the journey you took to make the exposure, was it one of those magic moments like Ansel Adams Moonrise Over Hernandez, or is it an image you you have been trying to get for years and you keep coming back to the same place. Did you have to wake up at 3am and hike 5 miles for it. Things like that something to make the reader feel like they were their with you on the journey to take the photo.

That's all well and good when there is photo to write about, but what about the other days of the year? A quick post saying xyz about a lens and is good.

IMO, you need to be extra careful talking about technical stuff. It is sometimes a dangerous slope because you are talking to other photographers. You need to have enough fans that follow you already and want to learn from you. You have seen enough posts here gone sour because two photographers are arguing.

IMO, "no flash, no reflector" topic is one of those you want to avoid. I can totally see bunch of photographers will automatically put you in "fauxtographer" category because you mentioned this... unless of course you are a famous photographer who is super good with natural light photography. You dont want to end up like this guy:
Exposing to the right | warrenjrphotography

I personally would just avoid technical stuff and just talk about the subject.

Also, you still need to fix bunch of stuff. English isn't my first language but I can tell you still have a lot of errors. Also, a telephoto just means a long ass lens. It doesn't mean it is always a zoom lens.

IMO, you need to be extra careful talking about technical stuff. It is sometimes a dangerous slope because you are talking to other photographers. You need to have enough fans that follow you already and want to learn from you. You have seen enough posts here gone sour because two photographers are arguing.

IMO, "no flash, no reflector" topic is one of those you want to avoid. I can totally see bunch of photographers will automatically put you in "fauxtographer" category because you mentioned this... unless of course you are a famous photographer who is super good with natural light photography. You dont want to end up like this guy:

Also, you still need to fix bunch of stuff. English isn't my first language but I can tell you still have a lot of errors. Also, a telephoto just means a long ass lens. It doesn't mean it is always a zoom lens.

Now that's good feedback from you, finally. :D I made the necessary changes. My English is American, other than the it's its it's all good! ;)

That's all well and good when there is photo to write about, but what about the other days of the year? A quick post saying xyz about a lens and is good.

Writing a blog post just so you can say I made my blog post this week may actually make people stay away from your blog.

If you continually post things that are irrelevant to them and what they want to know people will stop coming by to see what you have to say.

Kinda like the story of the boy who cried wolf to many times after awhile people just didn't listen to him at all.

If your content is quality and relevant to what people want to know then its certainly worth the wait.

If you have seen the blog of photographer Ben Horn http://www.benhorne.com/ Ben takes several photography trips each year with his 8x10 camera. He documents these with video. Obviously with 2 or 3 trips a year he is not going to have content to post every week. But because his content is so good and he makes people feel like they went on these trips with him people still follow him. After he is home from a trip it's about a month or more before he starts to post the videos and blog posts, at that point he released a video for each day of the trip once a week. But once that trip is done it may be several months before you hear from him.

When your blog is not as frequent and contrary to the belief of some not all blogs need to be you should allow people to sign up for a news letter that you email out.

When I get Ben's email about his latest trip I know to start looking each week for a new post.

The same principle can be applied to a wedding and portrait business. People are not looking to have professional photos taken of them every week so they a probably not going to keep checking your blog every week. So maybe you just post every month or two and offer a news letter. A month or so before the senior portrait season you post about how to make your senior portraits stand out from others. Two or three months before Christmas you do a post on what makes fun interesting Christmas card photos. At the beginning of spring you send one out about the importance of a nice family photo. And of course through out the year you mix in posts about wedding photos and other types of photos.

So many people have been told so many times that they must do blog posts weekly or even multiple times a week. Now that may work really well for some types of blogs but NOT for all types of blogs.

If you post boring content that is not relevant to your target audience just so you can have a post once a week eventually people are going to stop following you.

First off, thanks for the pingback. You linked everyone to my website on here as I'm the author of the ETTR article and I still stand by that article despite what the naysayers say as I know plenty of professionals and ETTR is a waste of time and pointless now a days.

I just wanted to say to the OP and others that you should update your blog as often as you want. Don't close yourself in just because some random guy like the guy that quoted me or other random people tell you "oh you shouldn't update your blog that often" as that is terrible advice and you should update it as often as you want.

Most pros will tell you the more you update your blog the merrier even if it's just a 1 photo update with no caption.

If you try to please everyone especially photographers you will end up not enjoying photography yourself and you will end up kicking yourself in the ass.

You should shoot what you enjoy and enjoy what you shoot, don't care about anyone else's opinion, and update your blog as much as YOU want to.

If you listen to the random guy that quoted me and other random posters and than listen to a professional like Frank Doorhof who says that you should update as much as possible and do what you enjoy doing who's advice would you rather take?

A novices or a professionals?

Screw opinions. You're just going to get a mixed bag of advice from different people.....do what feels best for YOU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robinson = Burn!

Thank you SJ_PhotoG I always follow my own heart by listening to everything I hear and disregarding what I don't agree with. I don't believe there's a single right or wrong way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back