Blueberry Ice Globe for Critique and help

Actually, for me, the context and background are just fine. It's not really so important WHAT this plant is, it's the ice-globe covering some sort of bud that is really your subject. The white background has helped isolate it; if you shot this so that the plant itself was the background, I personally think it might have been harder for the subject to really stand out.

What's missing, for me, and what would have made this a really nice shot instead of just "okay" (In MY opinion)…is focus. There's just not enough DOF here. Macro is really tough to get not only a sharp focus, but to then get sufficient DOF that you get everything you want in that sharp focus. Here, I'd really like to see a much sharper edge to that ice globe, and yet still have the bud itself be in focus too. Instead, not even the whole bud (not even most of it) is completely in focus.
What was your aperture? You'll often have to stop WAY down on aperture when working with macro to get much DOF.

Well I have a few minutes before I leave. The aperture is not adjustable with the extension tube I have. The exposure was 1/2000 sec. ISO was 1600. The background was snow. I wish I had been able to get the ice more in focus. I am still learning to use the extension tube and it's so tricky, just a slight movement and I lose focus. I really appreciate your suggestions and will have to try again with another subject. Unless we get more ice again I can try again. ;-)

Can you adjust the aperture with just the lens, and THEN add the extension tube? It seems like there IS a way to do that with that type of tube. My extension tubes have contact points, so it's not a problem for me, but I'm almost certain I've read about how to set your aperture with the other kind of tubes.

If you can get some advice on how to change the aperture, then take your shutter speed way down to compensate for the smaller aperture (smaller opening that is, larger f number--never sure how to say that). You shouldn't need 1/2000 if you're on a tripod anyway, but even handheld, you should be able to drop that to at least 1/500.
I often find myself at f/22 or higher when shooting macro, so fill flash would be really helpful as well.

I will have to do some research on adjusting the aperture with the regular lens before adding the extension tube. It would be neat if I could that. If I can do that I will try your setting suggestions. I know I need to get a fill flash at some point. Thanks again for your advice.

Sharon and Jazzie are much nicer than me :)

I still think the same. The light isn't good...you can fix lots of things in pp but not the light.... and I don't think you should buy a flash. Natural light is just fine,as long as you figure it out how to use it.

Anyway it's jmo and my vision for your subject and I could be completely wrong

Hey Maria I think your nice too so no worries and besides I accept critique because how else will I learn right ?

I have a lot to learn in using natural light. I do appreciate your thoughts.

I still think the same. The light isn't good...you can fix lots of things in pp but not the light.... and I don't think you should buy a flash. Natural light is just fine,as long as you figure it out how to use it.

I'm going to disagree with you on one thing, Marija.
Natural light IS just fine, much of the time. But when you start dealing with macro, and needing apertures as high as f/22 and higher in order to get enough DOF to have your subject in focus, you just can't always compensate for that with the right natural light, or with your shutter speed and ISO combination.
Macro is one of those genres of photography that can, in fact, be greatly enhanced by using a flash.
Now, whether that would have helped THIS photo, I don't know. I think it might have, but I'm in a minority on that so far. :D

Macro is something I'm experimenting with and it's so fascinating ! I would like to purchase a better extension tube eventually. I appreciate the time you took to critique.

Thank you all for your advice and critiques.

Natural light IS just fine, much of the time. But when you start dealing with macro, and needing apertures as high as f/22 and higher in order to get enough DOF to have your subject in focus, you just can't always compensate for that with the right natural light, or with your shutter speed and ISO combination.
Macro is one of those genres of photography that can, in fact, be greatly enhanced by using a flash.
Now, whether that would have helped THIS photo, I don't know. I think it might have, but I'm in a minority on that so far. :D
Ma, you're right of course....somehow I completely ignored macro/tubes here... yup.
I...no good
Sorry A! :)

Ma, you're right of course....somehow I completely ignored macro/tubes here... yup.
I...no good
Sorry A! :)

Hey Maria we're good no worries. I do accept and respect your critiques as well. Thanks for taking the time. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back