Blurry photographs

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lately, i've been noticing something strange with my digital photographs. Whenever I look at them full size (3008 x 2 thousand something) the image gets a little blurry. I was talking to one of my friends about this the other day and he told me that my monitor just wasn't seeing all the pixels and thats why its blurry. I don't know if i believe this or not. When I look at my photographs smaller they look fine. Does this make sense to yall or is it just camera shake that isn't noticeable until i blow the image up

I'd say your friend is right. If you're looking at a digital pic that's very high resolution, say for example 3200 X 2400, but your monitor is only rendering at a resolution of 1024 X 768 then you're going to lose some viewing clarity.

Ant said:
I'd say your friend is right. If you're looking at a digital pic that's very high resolution, say for example 3200 X 2400, but your monitor is only rendering at a resolution of 1024 X 768 then you're going to lose some viewing clarity.
Not how it really works. If you view the photo at 100% it will simply be too big for you to see on a monitor with a 1024x768 resolution.

Photos viewed at 100% should still be sharp. I would say there is a problem with the focus or camera shake.

voodoocat said:
Ant said:
Not how it really works. If you view the photo at 100% it will simply be too big for you to see on a monitor with a 1024x768 resolution.

Photos viewed at 100% should still be sharp. I would say there is a problem with the focus or camera shake.

Actually, thinking about it you're right. Just ignore me please :oops:

thats what i thought also. just wanted to get some other people's opinions. Guess i need to start using a tripod if I want really big pictures (or figure out how to focus properly)

What was the DOF on these shots? If you had it stopped down and it was blurry, it is camera shake. If there is another part of the photo that is sharp, then you focused on the wrong thing.

i think its a mix of both of those things actually, because there are some sharper parts of the image, but nothing that is razor sharp like i like it. I also just realized i have my camera set to the softess sharpness setting instead of the sharpest. So maybe it'll work out better now

Actually, I notice this sometimes when using photoshop. At certain enlargement steps on the screen, an image will look blurry. But when I make it smaller or larger (just using the magnifying tool, not actually changing the image size) it gets sharp again. I just work around it, of course, since I don't do any digital printing, as long as it looks good on whatever site I'm posting, that's okay by me.

ksmattfish said:
Actually, I notice this sometimes when using photoshop. At certain enlargement steps on the screen, an image will look blurry. But when I make it smaller or larger (just using the magnifying tool, not actually changing the image size) it gets sharp again. I just work around it, of course, since I don't do any digital printing, as long as it looks good on whatever site I'm posting, that's okay by me.
I notice that too when it's at an odd size. Like 66% or something. Usually at 50 or 25 it looks sharp.

I also just realized i have my camera set to the softess sharpness setting instead of the sharpest.
I use no in camera sharpening on the D70. I like the results much better using Photoshop to sharpen an image. That way I can control the sharpening and minimize noise and artifacts.

Most reactions

Back