Blurry Photos Newbie Here

Don't worry, OP. There are a few people here who don't seem to be very friendly to beginners, but even some of the unfriendly ones really know what they're talking about when it comes to photography. Just ignore the snarky comments and you'll find a wealth of great information here.

It's beyond me why some who are so regularly unfriendly to beginners would spend so much time in the forum for beginners, but like KmH said, this is a public forum and you have to take it as it is.

There are several threads right now started by newbies to this forum who have been welcomed and given the information to their questions. The difference is that those newbies, for the most part, have done the basic research necessary to understand the most common camera/photography terms. *shrugs* If you want people to spoonfeed you all the knowledge that you need to pick up a camera and operate it, it pays to be polite to those people.

I don't think a beginner asking a beginner's question in a beginner's forum equates to wanting to be spoon fed, although I guess in just the short time I've been here I've seen a few that I would categorize that way.

Regardless, I see no reason for some to have a rude stance toward beginners by default. I don't see why politeness can't be the expectation in a forum. Sure, this is the Internet and you never know what you're going to get, but if questions from beginners always makes certain people grumpy, it seems odd that they would continue to respond to questions in the beginner's forum.

I've experienced this myself. In one of the first threads I started, I got a reply that was completely uncalled for. I've seen that same person be very rude to plenty of others here, so I really do question why that person even comes to the beginner's forum any more. I've learned to mentally edit his replies to remove the rudeness and only see the good photography-related parts because he clearly knows his stuff.

There are several threads right now started by newbies to this forum who have been welcomed and given the information to their questions. The difference is that those newbies, for the most part, have done the basic research necessary to understand the most common camera/photography terms. *shrugs* If you want people to spoonfeed you all the knowledge that you need to pick up a camera and operate it, it pays to be polite to those people.

She was not asking to be spoonfed. She was asking for tips in shooting in aperture mode. She CLEARLY stated that she already tried shooting in aperture mode, but her photos are blurry... hence this thread.
You can be an ass to a newbie with your self righteous comments and saying you have to "spoon-feed" when all actuality this is a BEGINNERS forum. People are gonna come here discuss their issues and ask questions. If you don't like their questions don't comment. It's simple.

I'm sure I'm one of those that gets the 'rude' label. I just want to make something clear. I enjoy helping people. I like giving people that single piece of information that allows a concept to click in their mind. The issue for me is two types of people:

1) Those who ask for critique then get upset when negative (but good, constructive) critique is given.

2) Those who are unwilling to take the initiative and discover information on their own.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind answering a simple question from time to time, but I will likely mention something about finding the information on their own and giving suggestions on where to begin a search. People who chronically break one (or both in some special cases...) will get met with a level of rudeness at least equal to their level of rudeness (thinking TPF is their personal google, and ignoring advice and critique from those who know what they're doing and talking about). I've answered and given critique to several newbies over the last couple days without even a hint of rudeness.

:lol:

If the OP thinks "Oh boy" is a self righteous comment, I feel certain the "block" feature will come in quite handy for them in the future. I prefer to let my comments on here speak for themselves, if someone thinks I'm not being helpful, they're certainly free to not read my responses! It works both ways ;).

Read up on ISO, Aperture, and shutter speed ( the exposure triangle ). The recommended book is good, but if you are tight on money you should be able to find more than enough info on the internet.

There are a million possibilities to why your pics are coming out bad and we can't pinpoint it without knowing all of the settings of your camera. Perhaps your camera is shooting in RAW format when the "sport auto" mode defaults to a procesed JPEG? Aperture does control the amount of light coming into the camera, but you are correct in saying that it also controls your depth of field. You need a larger depth of field ( use a smaller aperture by dialing in a higher f/number) then you will have more in focus. You need to look up these things though or search other threads. I can't teach you a crash course in every aspect of photography ( this is why the others get cranky ) However, there is no need in being rude. Just do a little more homework after we give you some places to start. After you read up a bit, come back and post some more questions.

Last edited:

If the OP thinks "Oh boy" is a self righteous comment, I feel certain the "block" feature will come in quite handy for them in the future. I prefer to let my comments on here speak for themselves, if someone thinks I'm not being helpful, they're certainly free to not read my responses! It works both ways ;).

It didn't come across as self-righteous, but it seemed unnecessary, almost as if you were making fun of the person for even asking the question. I doubt you intended to come across that way, but it seemed that way to me and maybe the OP thought the same thing. That "Oh, boy" came across as, "Holy cow, this person is dumb. I can't believe she's asking this." As you might imagine, that doesn't create the best of vibes for us noobs.

I wasn't talking about that comment as a display of your self righteousness. :lol:
It was just unnecessary.

OP how about this... why don't you post a picture of your "blurry photo" and all the EXIF information with it. The blurriness could be anything and not necessarily due to your aperture....

Why should they be polite to you? You added nothing constructive to the thread. You just made a little comment and then disappeared. People come here to learn, sure she could have done more homework, but now she has more direction to aim that effort as opposed to just searching blindly on google. Yes, this is a public forum, and people are entitled to do what they like, but if you are going to do nothing but make smart comments and lecture people, why not just move on to the next thread? Do you think you are doing a service to this forum? I would argue not because I am sure the people making money off of it would like ALL BEGINNERS to come here not just the ones that meet your knowledge quota. Everytime someone comes on here with your attitude, it simply twists a thread into 10 pages of arguing which is disrespectful to the people that are actually trying to give some help. I don't have time to read 10 pages of bickering before getting to the root of a problem. I know it probably feels great to you to bully a newb, but its really just you pissing all over everyone else on this forum. So why don't YOU START BEING POLITE TO "THOSE PEOPLE".

You know, I spent five minutes trying to phrase a reply that wouldn't be rude, and I realize that it simply isn't possible, so I deleted it all. I will just say this, no one in this forum (save perhaps the moderators and owners) has the right to tell someone not to post in their thread, or to give them information in the way that they want it. You may get made fun of in this forum, or mocked, or harassed. There are rude people here who will take every chance that they can get to try and get under your skin, simply because that's what they like to do. They're allowed to post on here as long as they follow the forum rules like anyone else. If you're incapable of researching an answer to your question, reading your camera manual, utilizing the awesome power of Google, maybe this isn't the beginner forum for you, because eventually someone will tell you to stop being so lazy and go figure it out yourself. If you're lucky, someone with an infinite amount of patience, such as Orions, will come forward and give you more than enough clear and concise information to start with first.

That is all.

I'm a type of person that learns only by seeing, not by reading. So what i did used YouTube. Simply type in the camera u got and tons of video reviews will show up. You can also search how to use any setting in the camera such as shutter speed, ISO, Manual Mode, etc. I have learned fast this way. Don't take Negative comment in a bad way.Well it depends, some people are just asses. Like if they weren't in that same situation once before. Everyone was, anyways i wish you luck with your learning. If you really want to start to get into Photography and you like/love you will keep at it and learn fast. Just keep shooting mess around with different settings and when you start getting better results on the photos try to remember you're setting and use them again. Just practice practice practice.

Wilson :)

In my real job, I do a fair amount of training. One thing I've found extremely important is to never forget what it was like when you didn't understand the subject matter at all. If I try to remember the problems I encountered when learning my job as a beginner, it helps to put me into the right frame of mind to answer questions from people with less experience. I answer questions entirely differently based on the experience of the person asking the question. What might seem like a really absurd and obvious question if it came from an "expert" might be an entirely reasonable question to expect from a beginner. And since I am a total noob when it comes to photography, being a beginner is definitely fresh in my mind!

And generally speaking, I just try not to be a jerk to people. I'm not always successful, but it's at least a good goal. :)

Why should they be polite to you? You added nothing constructive to the thread. You just made a little comment and then disappeared. People come here to learn, sure she could have done more homework, but now she has more direction to aim that effort as opposed to just searching blindly on google. Yes, this is a public forum, and people are entitled to do what they like, but if you are going to do nothing but make smart comments and lecture people, why not just move on to the next thread? Do you think you are doing a service to this forum? I would argue not because I am sure the people making money off of it would like ALL BEGINNERS to come here not just the ones that meet your knowledge quota. Everytime someone comes on here with your attitude, it simply twists a thread into 10 pages of arguing which is disrespectful to the people that are actually trying to give some help. I don't have time to read 10 pages of bickering before getting to the root of a problem. I know it probably feels great to you to bully a newb, but its really just you pissing all over everyone else on this forum. So why don't YOU START BEING POLITE TO "THOSE PEOPLE".

I'm sorry, I believe you have mistaken me for someone else, because I've never said that anyone has to be polite to me. :) I've never started a thread and told someone that they can't post in it unless they give me the information I want in a certain way, and I've certainly never been rude to anyone without having given them 50 feet of rope to hang themselves with first. But like they say in Reading Rainbow, you don't have to take my word for it. Everyone's posting history is easily accessible, and it's easy enough to see who here has a history of being rude, starting drama, and creating 10 page threads full of flame and vitriol. My posts are an open book and anyone is free to form any opinion they like of me! I thought I was being quite polite when I kept my opinion to myself earlier, but you can't please everyone! I think (or hope) that it's pretty clear that I don't need anyone's approval here to validate myself, and that the information I give is worth how much you pay for it: nothing! Those who I respond to are welcome to take my advice or information or not, but in the end it really doesn't matter to me either way. I'll keep being me ;).

Most reactions

Back