Blurry Photos on Canon 5D Mark 1

Kianna Garcia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello! Skip the background if you want.

Background: I am a new camera owner and a beginner. I owned a canon t5i before I got the Canon 5D. I was basically clueless about any of the functions of the camera because it was already set up and easy to use. I have had this canon 5D for a few weeks now and have had the strangest problem.

Problem: I have a vintage lens it is the Helios 44 2/58 lens. I have used it before with no problem. When I went to adjust the settings on the Canon 5D like the aperture and the iso I noticed that even when I adjusted them the camera quality was less than desirable. The images were blurry and only appeared slightly more clear if the iso was lower. I can’t figure out how to adjust the F point either. The man who sold me the lens said that he never had a problem with it. I feel helpless because I know the capabilities of this vintage lens and this camera and I seem to be the only one who can’t figure it out. If anyone knows what may be going on would you be as so kind as to post a response.

Here are some sample photos to show you the shutter speed & iso. I don’t have a USB yet that’s why I didn’t upload them directly.

Attachments

• IMG_5956.jpg
    IMG_5956.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 262
  • IMG_5955.jpg
    IMG_5955.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 220
One thing I have come to learn the hard way about Russian lenses is that unless you are rock solid on hand holding, the best images will be with a tripod. period!

Working on a digital platform (I have a 5D myself and have mounted many russian Med. Format lenses) that the camera simply doesn't like anything other than Canon lenses on it.

secondly the rear LCD display was high at that point in time but is not the highest now. Pictures I thought were great turned out spoiled and visa versa.

The helios is not known for its high end performance, and the claims made about it are a bit exaggerated. but it can shoot amazingly sharp images if you take into considerations those limitations.
Additionally, the helios (depending on the model) has two unusual aspects.
1: the brass aperture blades.
2: The glass itself may have issue internally. This is usually in the form of haze and not always fungus.

There is an unusual yellow tent with some of them and in all honesty, they were really built for soviet era cameras. The Helios is capable of doing fine work but is as I said, not really a high quality hand held lens.
some have been reported to have an oval shaped aperture to them and though it shouldn't have any effect, it has been known to show unusual effects.

I have shot with only one 35mm designated Russian lens, and went full on Med. format because of the sweet spot.

I have another lens that should be here within the week so hopefully, that will produce better photos. Also, I need a new tripod these photos were handheld. So I will definitely take your advice to get a new one! Thank you. I was wondering is it normal that when I adjust the shutter speed the photo appears darker? I have to adjust the iso just to get the right lighting, also how to adjust the F stop?

So first thig:

The obvious:

The settings on the camera are in full manual at this point, the ISO and the shutter speed. The F stop will be adjusted on the lens alone. That's the dial with the 3.4 4 8 11 16 etc. on it.

The camera does not have a live view on it so you cannot see the effect and the lens does not have a step down for the aperture like other lenses. Because of this, you need to follow the sunny 16 rule.

Another aspect is that the Helios lens coating were kinda weird, but most do not realize that the coating were really optimized for Black and White Film. NOT color digital. As a result the B&W images will come out with a wholly different tone.

You'll need to set the camera to M Mode for the majority of shooting or to AV. This will at least help you meter somewhat.

The other thing to look out for is the Diopter adjustment on the eyepiece to ensure your getting a fully clean and clear image. You need to adjust that with a standard Canon lens set to manual first. Then add the Helios and see if the blurriness isn't caused by the lens itself.

The link below shows some th those points.

Dioptric adjustments: a clear view - Canon Professional Network

Check the rear element for smudges. ALSO, what kind of lens adapter are you using? Obviously the Helios predates the Canon ef-mount, and because of this you must use some type of lens adapter. If your lens adapter is not the correct one, then your pictures will be blurry.

You said that you had used the lens before with no problems, but looking at your two sample photos, it looks to me as if they are quite out of focus. Perhaps the lens has been damaged in some way, and has had a lens element displaced from its correct position.

Seeing a screen shot of the LCD is not very useful. Posting the actual images would be MUCH better!

When manual focusing one of the easiest mistakes to make is having your camera's diopter out of focus for your vision (i.e. maybe you use glasses or contacts or your vision isn't perfect) The diopter is the little rotating adjustment ring right above your viewfinder. The BEST way to adjust it is to place your camera on a tripod or still surface and switch your camera to live-view (which is the always a perfect representation of what you camera will capture in focus etc) and then manually focus an object to the BEST of your ability. TO check you can take a picture then zoom in to make sure its sharp. Then without adjusting the focus or the position of the camera, place your eye up to the viewfinder and adjust the diopter until the image is in perfect focus. Then don't touch your diopter!! That should make it much much easier to manually focus accurately through your viewfinder.

EDIT: Two other reasons for blurry photos, as mentioned before me, motion blur is big, make sure your shutter speed reflects what your shooting. i.e. moving subjects should be faster etc

Nox Vidmate VLC

Regarding the above, the best way to adjust the diopter is to ignore the image in the viewfinder and look at the digital displays, adjust the diopter until those are as sharp as possible. They are at the same viewing plane as the image shown on the viewfinder screen, so the resulting diopter adjustment will be correct for focusing.

However, focusing accurately in the viewfinder is all but impossible. You'll get close, but not close enough for critical focus. Most AF system still display the focus result somewhere in the viewfinder, even when AF is off. I know on my Nikon, I have an arrow to either side that illuminates if focus is off in that direction, and a center dot that illuminates of whatever is under the selected sensor is in focus.

The person posting above me also apparently didn't notice your shutter speeds, 1/100 and 1/500, so the speed comment for motion blur is rather irrelevant.

So first thig:

The obvious:

The settings on the camera are in full manual at this point, the ISO and the shutter speed. The F stop will be adjusted on the lens alone. That's the dial with the 3.4 4 8 11 16 etc. on it.

He should be able to use aperture priority metering with the camera. Of course there is no auto focus capability in the lens so the blurry is likely due to inaccurate focus. Motion blur is another possible cause.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back