Blurry Photos!

G8trMom09

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently bought a Nikon D5100 that I absolutely love. So far, so good! The only issue that I have, and it's a personal one, is that regardless of how focused a picture looks in the eye piece, they sometimes come out blurry. I wear glasses, and I'm positive that's where the issue is coming from. It's happening with either lens I'm using...the 18-55MM and the 55-200MM. I've read that there's an eyepiece attachment that magnifies only the center of the view finder...a DG-2. I'm curious if this would work for me? Is there something else I can do? If I use the live view, they're coming out just fine, because I can see the image larger and focus it better. Thanks in advance for ANY advice!

Motion blur, or blur from being out of focus?

Examples would tell all

green light should illuminate in viewfinder when your subject is in focus no matter if your eyes are or not
dblthumb2.gif

Definitely not motion blur...it's out of focus blur. And they're not out of focus a lot...just enough. The pictures I've taken are of my daughter and I don't feel comfortable sharing them with the world...I'm sorry. I know an example would help.

LOL, 2Wheel. The eyes definitely are losing focus. I'll make sure to look for the green light next time...I've never noticed it before. That would explain a lot. :)

G8trMom09 said:
I recently bought a Nikon D5100 that I absolutely love. So far, so good! The only issue that I have, and it's a personal one, is that regardless of how focused a picture looks in the eye piece, they sometimes come out blurry. I wear glasses, and I'm positive that's where the issue is coming from. It's happening with either lens I'm using...the 18-55MM and the 55-200MM. I've read that there's an eyepiece attachment that magnifies only the center of the view finder...a DG-2. I'm curious if this would work for me? Is there something else I can do? If I use the live view, they're coming out just fine, because I can see the image larger and focus it better. Thanks in advance for ANY advice!

Are you manually focusing?

How about you take some general photos that aren't of your daughter then?

Manual focus. What about the camera diopter adjustment? The little knob close to the viewfinder?

What Fstop are you trying to manual focus At?

Might try adjusting the diopter adjustment on the eyepiece of your camera. Instructions are in the owner's manual.

G8trMom09 said:
I am manually focusing. The auto focus never gives me the result I'm looking for.

Try using auto focus. Change it to af-s and use a single focal point. You'd probably have to change the focus area too but I'm not sure. You can change all that by hitting info and scrolling though the stuff on the LCD. It's hard to manually focus since the viewfinder isn't made for it. Autofocus is usually pretty accurate but it takes practice. If your photos are blurry from manual focus then your aren't getting the results you want either.

When you get the camera its set up for auto everything which means the camera is deciding what to focus on and wi use a bunch of focus points to try and get it all in focus. Not the best thing!!

What kind of "look" is there to get with autofocus that you don't like? The "in-focus" look?

I don't get it :(

Most reactions

Back