Boardwalk at Dusk (C&C Welcome)

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a normal and sepia treatment on this one. All comments very welcome as always. Thanks for looking!

Normal...

Florida - Boardwalk 008.jpg

Sepia...

Florida - Boardwalk 008 sepia.jpg

I just realized I didn't get any comments on this one either. My hit rate is really bad lately. I must be doing something very bad. :lol:

I like the colour version better, and it's not even close –the warm light of the afternoon is lost in the sepia version.

Very cool capture of a nice structure; I think the gooseneck-style fixtures make the photo, and the lights being turned on lent you a hand. I like that the shot is not perfectly centred. Myself I would have liked a bit more definition in the clouds, but that's just a personal preference. (The horizon is a tad tilted to the left, BTW.)

Hi Chris. I haven't been around much and thought I'd see what you've been posting. I'm just running through your recently started threads from your statistics page.

I hadn't noticed the horizon tilt until I read through Federico's comment. But leveling the horizon might throw off the horizontals of the walkway's planks, so not sure it it's worth trying to level.

I also like the colour version more, and I think it's because the red lighthouse acts as a strong focal point. I also agree with Invisible's comment about the warmth of the light in the color version.

Good stuff, Maynard.

I just realized I didn't get any comments on this one either. My hit rate is really bad lately. I must be doing something very bad. :lol:

Chris, I have been busy for the past 12-24 hours.. It's very amateurish to complain about lack of critique.. It's beneath you-don't do it..

I love the color version... Very nice.

I hadn't noticed the horizon tilt until I read through Federico's comment. But leveling the horizon might throw off the horizontals of the walkway's planks, so not sure it it's worth trying to level.
Actually, it was the planks what gave me a hint about the horizon tilt (try scrolling down a bit to align the planks with the bottom of your screen). However, on second look, I have realized that there's no tilt at all: it's just the effect produced by the camera being a tad to the left.

In other words, ignore me :lol:

Actually, it was the planks what gave me a hint about the horizon tilt (try scrolling down a bit to align the planks with the bottom of your screen). However, on second look, I have realized that there's no tilt at all: it's just the effect produced by the camera being a tad to the left.

The planks aren't level?

I like the colour version better, and it's not even close –the warm light of the afternoon is lost in the sepia version.

Very cool capture of a nice structure; I think the gooseneck-style fixtures make the photo, and the lights being turned on lent you a hand. I like that the shot is not perfectly centred. Myself I would have liked a bit more definition in the clouds, but that's just a personal preference.

Interesting point on the light- I hadn't considered that... which is silly since I went to such effort to make sure it was maintained in the color version. :lol:

I love the light fixures in that thing- I particularly love how the poles are randomly bent, too.

What do you mean by definition in the clouds? Sharper, or just more contrast? Or?

Hi Chris. I haven't been around much and thought I'd see what you've been posting. I'm just running through your recently started threads from your statistics page.

I also like the colour version more, and I think it's because the red lighthouse acts as a strong focal point. I also agree with Invisible's comment about the warmth of the light in the color version.

Good stuff, Maynard.

Thanks, John. I appreciate all your comments on all my posts. I'm going to go through them now instead of going to bed like I should. :lol:

Chris, I have been busy for the past 12-24 hours.. It's very amateurish to complain about lack of critique.. It's beneath you-don't do it..

I love the color version... Very nice.

mm... I wasn't really complaining so much as poking. Folks seem to sometimes not comment until you poke, and then once you do you get some really nice discussions. Not sure why it works that way. Thanks, though! :)

The planks aren't level?

There are so many wonky lines in that shot it's not surprising. The planks, the bent poles, the sloping shore opposite the dock, etc. I spent quite a bit of time agonizing over the horizon... I wouldn't rule out the fact that it might still be wonky.

I love the warmth of the light hitting the dock in the colour version, and the strong shadows on the upright posts.

Chris, was this Florida, too?

I love the warmth of the light hitting the dock in the colour version, and the strong shadows on the upright posts.

Thanks!

You know, I realize now (based on your comments) there might have been a neat shot I missed... if you were standing with your back to the rail on the left and just snapping a pick of the rail to the right... the shadow pattern of the fence behind you on the fence in front would be pretty neat. Too bad.

Normal is great for me. Cool light and colours!

Thanks!

Chris, was this Florida, too?

Yessir.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back