Bodge LR folders to my filling structure

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a method of preventing LR from creating its own original image folders. The issue is I have my own raw folder system which I then import into LR and there is duplication of folders. I understand why this happens but is there away around it.

I have LR make my folders, but I know a lot of people prefer your type of import. The usual method is to use Add and not Copy the files when doing the Import.

The reason I have LR make the folder is that the created folder is the days date inside of a year folder and LR makes this automatically. I also have LR automatically add the date (yyyymmdd) to the start of the filename. This automation means I can just plug in the card and hit Import. The name format is so I can always find where a file should go if I ever move something by accident outside of LR. My JPG files have this file naming structure, but they are usually stored in a folder structure based on Project or Event. With the image Copy field added on Export (each Virtual Copy is given a different name in the Copy field) it allows me to find the original Raw file anytime for any JPG file.

You can use any method you chose to transfer your files from SD cards to folders. When you import from Lr at the top left of the screen use the drop down to tell it where to look. Your raw file images stay in that file Lr remembers where they are and only your edit information is stored in the LR catalog. If you move the files in the raw file outside Lr, it will lose track. I use Bridge to do my first cull of images on the SD card. Using the space bar instantly brings up a full screen version. I can delete the obvious bad ones. Then I use the batch tool to create a new folder if necessary, transfer and rename images quickly. Bridge will also work with Lr to move files automatically updating Lr with new file location.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back