Body Suggestions

farmdog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I intend to upgrade from a Canon G9 to a dslr. I spend alot of time outdoors and enjoy macro photography. The G9 goes with me everywhere I go. Because my favorite photos are macros and because I have enjoyed this Canon product, I began my search for a body by looking for the best lens I could afford and that is Canon's EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM. Image stabilization is important to me as I do not wish to carry a tripod. The Canon 7d is at the very high end of what I would consider, but it is alot of camera for me (yes, I know the lens is alotta lens too) as I am still wending my way through the learning process. The price ,when combined with the lens cost pushes the envelope perhaps too much. I am open to to other maunfacturers of both lenses and bodies. My sense, from talking to folks was that I should determine what I want do most and consider the lens first.

My question is this: Amongst the Canon bodies, how far down the list (baseline Rebel and up) can I go and still get the most benefit from the lens?

Thank you for your thoughts.

I think the 100mm L macro is priced too highly for what it does...stabliizer in a macro is of dubious benefit at macro-level magnifications, and 100mm is not so long that one needs IS all "that" much with today's better camera bodies, which can do higher ISO settings like 800 with no problem. Seriously, I would consider that the optical quality of the L-macro is not ay higher than that of a $400 Tamron 90 2.8 macro or a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 ATX macro lens, so...I say save the money you would otherwise spend on the 100-L and buy a different macro lens, then buy the 7D body with a clear conscience.

The Canon 100mm USM F2.8 macro is an outstanding lens for almost half the price. Its amazingly sharp. I would bet you couldn't even tell the difference between the two. Except for very low light photography and IS is needed. Derrel also mentioned some other great lenses that are very popular and just as sharp. If you can afford the 7d get it.

Thanks for the advice and input guys. I will take it to heart and get the 7d and figure out which less expensive lens amongst your suggestions to get.

I appreciate the help.

I'll echo on the 100mm 2.8. I find it to be very capable producing excellent quality prints even up to 24x36. Imo, IS will only be valuable on this lens when you are not using it for a macro shot. As you know, from doing macros yourself, just lifting your finger off the shutter can cause enough camera shake to render an capture useless.

I would also look at getting the lens used. I picked mine up for $500 (Canadian). Good lenses hold their value as long as you take care of them.

Now thats an interesting idea. I do like the weather resistance and smaller size and that image stabailization is built into the body. Hmmm.. gotta research this a little more. Price point is better and and will satisfy my needs and give me plenty of room to grow. Any recommendations for a good telephoto pentax or third party?

The K-7 body is great value. I think the 100mm WR macro might be slightly more than the Canon one, but performance is reputedly outstanding.

Now thats an interesting idea. I do like the weather resistance and smaller size and that image stabailization is built into the body. Hmmm.. gotta research this a little more. Price point is better and and will satisfy my needs and give me plenty of room to grow. Any recommendations for a good telephoto pentax or third party?

What kind of speed/focal length are you looking for?

The Pentax lens range is quite unique, it's dedicated more to primes and small size than zooms. But in saying that, the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 (35mm equivalent 75-200mm-ish) is meant to be outstanding and is sealed. There is a sealed DA* 60-250mm f/4, and sealed DA* 200mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/4, as well as older but excellent FA* 80-200mm f/2.8 I think it is.

The Sigma 100-300mm f/4 is also meant to be one of the best Sigma's ever made, and there are the 70-200mm f/2.8 Tamron and Sigmas too, and lesser 50-500mm etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back