What's new

Boeing P-26A "Pea-Shooter"

CmazzJK

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 15, 2014
Messages
287
Reaction score
90
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took these at the U.S Air Force Museum yesterday, along with many others I haven't had a chance to really mess with but I really liked this plane it was really neat. Since you couldn't carry backpacks I only took my 50 1.8 which made me really work for some sharp photos hand held in that lighting, and such a tight area. If there is interest I can post up some more photos of different planes, thanks for looking.
$P-26 1.webp

$P-26 2.webp

$P-26 3.webp

$P-26 4.webp
 
Last edited:
Put some blank space between each photo when you post them - doing so really improves the presentation.

What metering mode were you using, because they all look under exposed to one degree or another.
Understanding Camera Metering and Exposure

Center weighted at default, I processed these to take out the clippings but it was in an enormous air hangar with stage like can lights in the ceiling which made it difficult to handhold and get sharp pictures for me. I preferred these to be a bit darker background to accentuate the paint of the plane but that's just my preference but now that I compare them all the first picture seems to be a bit underexposed compared to the rest I will fix that.
 
Last edited:
And you didn't even say hello! I live about 5 miles from the museum.

Some nice shots. This one is lit nicely but some of the other aircraft can be a real challenge. I usually use my 18-55 when shooting in the museum.
 
And you didn't even say hello! I live about 5 miles from the museum.

Some nice shots. This one is lit nicely but some of the other aircraft can be a real challenge. I usually use my 18-55 when shooting in the museum.

Yeah, i live about 45 minutes south but haven't been there in about 8 years. I was worried about the lighting with my 16-35 F/4 and opted for the 50 1.8, but now after trying to compose shots with the 50 in those tight areas i wish i would of taken the 16-35. Unfortunately they don't allow backpacks so you live and you learn... Next time i will take the 16-35 and try and get some wider angled shots. I will have to post up some more pictures when i get a chance to sit down and go through them.
 
A few more photos I took from the Air Force Museum last weekend, there are so many planes, aerospace equipment and flight technologies its hard to explain it all if you get a chance to check it out its really worth it. The last picture is of the bomber that ended WWII, pretty powerful to see it up close.

$P-63E 1.webp

$P-63E 2.webp

$Submarine Spitfire.webp

$Submarine Spitfire 2.webp

$SR-71 1.webp

$SR-71 2.webp

$Bockscar 1.webp
 
I like the 1st shot of the SR-71. Awesome shot. I wish the DOF was just a little deeper to bring some engine into focus . ...But it's such a long fuselage it may have been difficult with your lighting.
 
I haven't been there in a couple years now - I used to go probably a couple times a year when my son was younger. I remember it being really difficult to get shot there between the low lighting and the fact that everything pretty much turned out looking like a plane in a museum (go figure). I've got some of those same shots, I think -- one of the peashooter wing (I think I included the navigation light), and I recognize the SR-71 nose shot, too, though I like yours in B&W. The railings around Bocks Car are new -- I used to be able to walk right up under the plane, I think. Did you make it over to the Presidential hangar?
 
Great pictures,

Fantastic subject, number 2 from your first post is my favorite.

Well done!
 
I like the 1st shot of the SR-71. Awesome shot. I wish the DOF was just a little deeper to bring some engine into focus . ...But it's such a long fuselage it may have been difficult with your lighting.

Thanks pilot, it was pretty dark in there and they were telling everyone over the loud speaker to kick rocks so I had to hurry and try to get some pictures of that blackbird, sweet plane but dark hangar, no tripod, and being of time unfortunately didn't help my composition. I could spend 8 hours in there taking pictures and still not have enough time to get everything I wanted.
 
I haven't been there in a couple years now - I used to go probably a couple times a year when my son was younger. I remember it being really difficult to get shot there between the low lighting and the fact that everything pretty much turned out looking like a plane in a museum (go figure). I've got some of those same shots, I think -- one of the peashooter wing (I think I included the navigation light), and I recognize the SR-71 nose shot, too, though I like yours in B&W. The railings around Bocks Car are new -- I used to be able to walk right up under the plane, I think. Did you make it over to the Presidential hangar?

Hey Lambert, no I didn't get over to the presidential hangar, it was later in the day and my wife hadn't been since we were kids so she took her time reading all the descriptions of the planes and their history. I would love to get in there and take my tripod which is apparently allowed but its so busy I'd feel like I was in everyone's way.
 
Great pictures,

Fantastic subject, number 2 from your first post is my favorite.

Well done!

Thanks rain check, this was the first time id had the 50 1.8 on my 7100 and the learning process of composition with a prime lens was rocky to say the least. I am fairly happy with how most of these turned out. I kept about 25% of my shots.
 
Omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg they have an SR-71 now? I think it's high time I went back to Dayton.

Great shots. I'm partial to the shot of the B-29. Such massive planes that it's hard to compose meaningfully.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom