Boggled by lenses!

Bru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I'm fairly new to the DSLR scene, and am currently using an old Nikon D50 with a Tamron lens that came with it (28-80mm). I am working towards doing this as a job, starting with outdoor family photos, hopefully doing senior pictures for pay come June of next year, and slowly moving my way up to weddings at some point.
My question is...what lenses should I get? What can I get for less than an arm and a leg? I would like to start small, something that will do what I need for the family shoots until I can start generating a small income from that to save up for the big guns. Also, any opinions on the D5000, D90, & D3000 for what I am doing? My D50 refuses to let me change the aperture without having a heart attack, so I will need to replace that body...very soon.
Thanks so much!
Keely

Of the 3 cameras you listed, I recommend the D90. It is the only one that has Commander mode for using Nikon's CLS. The D90 will likely be dropped from the Nikon line in the next 12 months. It's sucessor seems to be the recently launched D7000.

You will also need some lighting, a couple of reflectors, and an understanding of photographic technical matters like depth-of-field, the exposure triad, white balance, posing, image color management, digital asset management, etc.

On the business side you will need, business liability, indemnity, and equipment insurance, a state sales tax account, contracts, model releases, a business/marketing plan, sales skills, etc.

As far a lenses - what is your current budget.

Current budget is pretty meek. I'd say nowhere beyond $200 at this point, and that may be a stretch for a wee bit (though I am willing to take the time saving to learn more in the field).
What books would you suggest picking up? I have been suggested "How to Start a Photography Business" and National Geographic's guide to portraits.

Most reactions

Back