Bogus Marker Length

Dudley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tried to save a photo processed in The Gimp and got this error msg. Anyone got a clue. TKS

I have used Gimp as my photo egiting program for a long time and have not had any problems until now. All I really do with it is pull in a picture, crop it, and erase out the background to have white behind my picture (no layers). For some reason I have some pictures that I have taken from a camera that I have used for a long time. Now they will not work in this manner. I can do what I need until I try to save the finished picture and I get errors.

JPEG Library Error

Bogus Marker Length

Plug-in could not save image

I have downladed the newest version of Gimp as well as tried this operation on three diferent computers with three different operation systems and the same holds true. I can use other photo editing programs and they all work with the .jpg files but they do not have the options that Gimp has so they can't help me. I have tried to save the pictures as other formats but haven't found one that works. I can't imagen what could be special about these .jpg files. I could sure use your help.
Thanks, wcyates

did you ever figure this out? i'm getting the same error with a couple of photos. it's really frustrating. other photos from the same camera, same day are fine but i've found 2 that gimp just won't save (worse, it tries to save and leaves a 0 byte file in its place when it fails! thank god i made copies before attempting to edit!!)

-s

Why?...like me this is the first site that comes up in a Google search for "Bogus marker length" which as I have figured out is a generic error message from The Gimp for a corrupted file. For me it occurred from old files that have been moved around from CDs and networked files, WIndows to Linux. Probably just a lost bit somewhere. Unfortuantly there is no real answer that I've found. The best I've come up with is to load the file into a browser which works about half the time and take a screenshot. Probably not the answer folks on a photo forum are looking for, but it's the best I've come up with.

Good luck and yes this is probably the last you will hear from me.

Fred at 96trees.com

Most reactions

Back