Bokeh

How do you say it?

• Bo - kay

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Bo - kuh

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters
Bo rhymes with ho. K. Okay

I pronounce it correctly, which is neither of these.

It is Bo as in Bodacious and Ke as in Ken. Bo-Ke.

I say it like Bouquet.

I pronounce it correctly, which is neither of these.

It is Bo as in Bodacious and Ke as in Ken. Bo-Ke.

This is how I was told it's pronounced.

to-MAH-to / to-MAY-to ..... which one tastes better with bacon and lettuce?

pe-KAHN / pe-CAN ..... which one costs more to fill a pie shell?

Or is it more of a regional thing?

Last edited:
Mustache versus moustache...

Niii-con or Neeee-cone or Nikkk-Onnn? Which of those three pronunciations of Nikon is considered 'correct'?

Must-ache
Nik-on
Bok-eh
to-MAH-to

As the only British person in the thread (and thus the only one able to pronounce anything correctly unlike you people out in the colonies) those above are the proper pronunciations ;)

It's always tricky with foreign words. Do we remain faithful to the Japanese phonetics or do we anglicize? If you want to pronounce it close to its original pronunciation, then it's as amolitar described: bo-ke. And if you really want to be accurate, you'll pronounce both syllables more or less equally. If anglicized, then we're likely to put the stress on the first syllable, which in turn will generally turn the vowel in the unstressed syllable into a shwa, resulting in BO-kuh.

There will be a quiz at the end of the week.

It's always tricky with foreign words. Do we remain faithful to the Japanese phonetics or do we anglicize? If you want to pronounce it close to its original pronunciation, then it's as amolitar described: bo-ke. And if you really want to be accurate, you'll pronounce both syllables more or less equally. If anglicized, then we're likely to put the stress on the first syllable, which in turn will generally turn the vowel in the unstressed syllable into a shwa, resulting in BO-kuh.

As a proud dumb american I feel it's my duty to mispronounce foreign words.

We've already gotten your rotten little fleet of vowels reduced to a single grunted sound. Next, we're going after the prepositions.

We've already gotten your rotten little fleet of vowels reduced to a single grunted sound. Next, we're going after the prepositions.

Well I guess I just have a certain jennysee quaah.

I don't but if I had to I'd probably say it bo-kuuuh with a cross between a midwestern and southern twang.

I think I'm going to flunk the quiz.

Most reactions

Back