Boost business and help a great cause at the same time!

KAikens318

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently have been having a slump in the photography department so I decided that I would do something to get back in the game.

In the month of June I did all of my photo shoots pro bono. The only thing I asked in return was a donation to my charity of choice which happened to be a pancreatic cancer research foundation. In one month I managed to get a ton of practice, lots of clients, and over $3000 for the foundation! It was such a wild success that I am going to do it every year and now I have clients who have already come back for more photos.

I was about to say "never give away your work for free!" but then I read the rest of the message and thought that it was a good idea.

This would ofcourse be a little crazy if you relied on photography for 100% of your income. And if you're a wedding photographer, well, there goes one of your biggest months of the year for profit!

Maybe one or two weeks pro bono to the charity?

-Dave

I don't actually shoot weddings regularly, more family and single portraits and sports. Hoping to get into weddings at some point though! I am going to do this every fall instead of June from now on since the foliage here in NH is beautiful and would really add to the photos. During all of my regular shoots however I donate 5% of all my profits to the same charity. It actually really helps with business and I love helping out a cause that I am super passionate about. My mother and grandfather both passed away recently from Pancreatic cancer. I have a ton of fun doing it too!

How do you usuallly advertise about this btw?
Thanks,
-Dave

Most of the people that came saw it through Facebook, however I have a person helping me who went to school for Marketing/PR and she has been super helpful. We got an ad in three of the local newspapers, also put up flyers at every business that had a bulletin board for the community, and I put up flyers on my cubicle in my office which is right next to the break room. It was actually pretty easy! The foundation I am working with has been really great too, they sent along a bunch of free pamplets and ribbons and magnets to spread the awareness of pancreatic cancer as well. I know giving your work away isn't something that people like doing but this made me feel so good that I cannot wait until next year.

I recently have been having a slump in the photography department so I decided that I would do something to get back in the game.

In the month of June I did all of my photo shoots pro bono. The only thing I asked in return was a donation to my charity of choice ...

Fantastic idea! I wonder if/how doing the work for charity effected your art? For example dis not having a profit motive hanging over your head have any effect on the quality of your work in any way?

BTW, do not get me wrong. I do not see anything wrong with anyone earning money doing for others whether its photography, ditch digging, dish washing, spiritual teaching, doctoring, etc. And the more the better so long as everything is honest and no one gets hurt. I simply endeavor not to attach negativity to financial wealth. This does not mean there is no value in doing things free either.

Either way you are creating wealth for yourself, its just different kinds of wealth.

In the month of June I did all of my photo shoots pro bono. The only thing I asked in return was a donation to my charity of choice ...

Fantastic idea! I wonder if/how doing the work for charity effected your art? For example dis not having a profit motive hanging over your head have any effect on the quality of your work in any way?

BTW, do not get me wrong. I do not see anything wrong with anyone earning money doing for others whether its photography, ditch digging, dish washing, spiritual teaching, doctoring, etc. And the more the better so long as everything is honest and no one gets hurt. I simply endeavor not to attach negativity to financial wealth. This does not mean there is no value in doing things free either.

Either way you are creating wealth for yourself, its just different kinds of wealth.

Nope, my quality is the same for everything, during this event or during regular sessions. I feel that even though I am not getting paid for them, they are still paying money for these photos so they should be good. :)

Most reactions

Back