Botanical Gardens - Water Feature

sm3g

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went on a trip to the botanical gardens the other day to take some photos.
I have many to get through, this was the first one I have finished with:

DSC_0062 by Sam Wardlaw, on Flickr

Taken with a D3300 with 18-55mm Kit Lense
F/22.0
Shutter: 0.5
Iso: 100
Zoom: 18mm

I took this shot mostly to have a go at getting that cool blurry water effect from running water. Also did a version in black and white for funsies:
DSC_0062-2 by Sam Wardlaw, on Flickr

C&C Welcome and appreciated!

wow, very powerful image. The b&w works well.

The b&w don't really works in this one( remember this is just my opinion), because in this image everything that is making it looking good are the colors.I love how you composed the image, nice shot and the colour one is better!!

I agree with xDarek, the black and white doesn't really work that well. I think one reason that it doesn't is that there is very little contrast range in the B&W. IMHO, a good B&W should have a wider contrast range, whereas this one is just a small number of similar shades of grey. Not every image is a good candidate for B& white.

You said that you took this shot to try and get the "blurry water effect". I would suggest that if this is what you were going for, then I would make the "water" area the focal point of the image. The present image is nice, in some respects, but it is a bit too cluttered and the "water" is lost in the clutter.

WesternGuy

In my opinion, either one works well. It always appears to me that a well executed photo looks good either way. When the color one is posted, I open them up individually so I can be a little more open minded. I actually, prefer the B & W because it gives it a Twilight Zone feel to it. The old barn wood and rock textures really pop in the B & W. Just my thoughts and taste I guess.

great photo, i like the color version

Thanks for all the replies!
Nice to do a split in opinion between the colour and the B&W.
Also WesternGuy, I took like 5 photos of this water feature to play with the blurry water effect, this one was the most zoomed out and I really liked how the hut thingy looked in it so decided to not crop!

This may sound picayune but I would crop either below the lower right rock or crop part way through it so that it isn't just touching the bottom of the frame. Being a trichromate species the color one is for me.

Thanks for all the replies!
Nice to do a split in opinion between the colour and the B&W.
Also WesternGuy, I took like 5 photos of this water feature to play with the blurry water effect, this one was the most zoomed out and I really liked how the hut thingy looked in it so decided to not crop!
No problem, it is, after all, your image and what you like may not necessarily be what others agree with. I simply offer my opinion based on the one image you posted and what I would have done, or tried, in the same setting. If you like it, then that is all that really counts. :thumbyo:

I am just curious though as to whether or not you have one that you might have taken with the 55mm end of the lens that would show more of the water than the hut and vegetation.

WesternGuy

Nice the color one is for me.

Most reactions

Back