Bought a lens, doesnt fit...

Troides

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just bought myself the Sony Alpha A-58 and purchased the "Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Sony-alpha" lens for it. I'm just now venturing into interchangeable lenses and dont understand why a lens advertised as a sony lens, isnt compatible with my camera. So to summarize, I want a decent starter lens for Macro photos, and I need help buying one because I cant apparently figure out what lenses to buy.
[h=2][/h][h=2][/h]

Sigma is well known as a company that supplies lines of lenses that fit other lens mounts.
My guess is that, if you look at the box for the lens, there will be a line that says 'Nikon compatible' or 'Canon compatible' or something similar.

What is your budget and we can suggest a good starting point for a macro lens?

You could also look into a reversing ring and then reverse a lens (I prefer a prime) however I feel would be easier to start with a proper macro and then experiment.

Also along with your budget what are you looking to take photo's of?

If you bought a lens for "Sony-Alpha" and it doesn't fit your Sony Alpha A-58, then someone other than you screwed up. Return it for a refund, they sent you the wrong lens.

If it fits but some functions don't work, well, that might be on you. This seems like an extremely cheap lens, so it's possible it doesn't have all the features of a more expensive lens.

Go on a well reputed photo products web site, there are several out there. Seach for "A mount macro lens" and look through the ones that fit your budget for the word "1:1" which is a good basic magnification for proper macro work. But that lens. If you hate it, return it -- the good photo products web sites should have decent return policies.

Yeah, I realized it wasnt necassarily a full macro, but since I was on a slight budget, I figured I would buy something with the capability and also could use it for other purposes. I bought the lens from an Amazon seller so Im thinking they listed the lens as the wrong mount type, I contacted them and will be returning it. Most, if not all of my photos will be of wildlife, so things like insects and small animals. My budget I would say is 300-400, but preferably on the cheaper side as I just spend 600 on the camera itself, but go ahead and suggest any good lenses as well. Thanks for the help guys

300-400 i don't think that will get you a macro lens, you main trouble is you need 2 lenses for what you want to do

How much would I have to spend then? If you guys wouldnt mind making the suggestions, I should be able to get the money for a pretty decent one in about a month. Just so I can have a list of what I want to/should buy.

You could pick up a used Minolta Maxxum macro lens, KEH has the 100/2.8 for under $300 and the 50/2.8 for under $200. I think they'll both do 1:1.

That lens is not a true macro lens

According to the international society of Macro Advertising Accountability?
Or according to more popular brands that arbitrarily tend to define it that way and people assume are right by default?

Macro has had half a dozen completely different definitions over the years / right now. No reason to pick on people or companies when they use it in a way you don't like. The important thing is whether the lens will perform, not whether it hits arbitrary cutoff points.

And this would be COMPLETELY perform well for 300mm macro photography. It has a magnification of 0.5, which is freaking awesome for 300mm. The Canon equivalent is like 0.15(?) for instance, and their longest macro 1:1 lens is only 180mm and costs many times more money. Also, you have to consider than at 300mm, full 1:1 would be almost impossible to control handheld. And you would often be using it handheld, because the main advantage of 300mm for closeup shots is the large working distance away from skittish insects and such that are on the move. So much more than 0.5 probably wouldn't even be very useful.

Assuming you can return it and get one that fits your camera, this is an excellent choice I'd say for macro of shy insects as well as normal photography of mammals and birds.

Thats the thing, I like the versatility this lens would give me to test out my camera. Seeing as I'm new to all of this and still learning how to properly use my camera and its settings, it would be nice to find one that would work, however I'm afraid to buy the lens again even if its listed as Sony and Minolta SLR cameras, considering I just did so and the product didnt work. I'll probably just go for the straight macro lens that I know will fit. We are sure this minolta macro lens is compatible? I don't mean to doubt your advice, just wondering why a minolta mount type works?

Thats the thing, I like the versatility this lens would give me to test out my camera. Seeing as I'm new to all of this and still learning how to properly use my camera and its settings, it would be nice to find one that would work, however I'm afraid to buy the lens again even if its listed as Sony and Minolta SLR cameras, considering I just did so and the product didnt work. I'll probably just go for the straight macro lens that I know will fit. We are sure this minolta macro lens is compatible? I don't mean to doubt your advice, just wondering why a minolta mount type works?

Check this link out

A-mount lens database (lenses for Minolta and Sony DSLR cameras)

If you could mount the lens to your camera, it simply wasn't the correct model. Nothing is wrong with the lens itself.

Thats what I figured, however how am I supposed to guarantee I dont get the same problem again? I suppose this time it was the sellers error for listing it wrong, but Im just at the point where I would like to use something other than my stock lens and the macro attachment lens they provide...doesnt quite cut it. Having a macro lens where I can be a little bit more far away so I dont scare anything would be nice, but if I need to get a true macro lens just so I can take some, thats fine.
At this point im looking at maybe getting both the sigma again and hoping its right if I order through amazon itself, and then getting the 100 mm Macro from KEH. Maybe the 50 to save some money, but being 1.1 ft away vs 7 ft will probably make quite a difference.

Last edited:
And that site is great, thanks for posting it Dao, I'll probably use that in the future.

Most reactions

Back