Bought A New Toy

Thanks for the references, dxqcanada.

Sadly, skilled techs like these for any make are fading fast. Toronto lost some of the best over the last decade(perhaps dxqcanada can update on survivors). Point is, get these relics serviced NOW while the expertise and experience are still in play.

Sorry, got no info about Tech's here ... I am not sure who, if anybody, is doing servicing in Ontario.

Sorry, got no info about Tech's here ... I am not sure who, if anybody, is doing servicing in Ontario.
Winball in N. York was the old Nikon guy--a former Nikon HK tech. International down on the Queensway and a shop on Church St was the MF go-to, especially for Mamiya MF. Guess Downtown Camera knows who might be doing film camera servuice now.

@dxqcanada Your thoughts? Found this detailed video on cleaning and servicing a TLR. He's using a Yashica, seems fairly simple.
using a rubber stopper to remove the outer lens, another video I saw used a spanner. I have something similar to both in the shop so, hopefully I'm good to go when it comes in. Found another video on servicing the light meter, it's a little harder to access but still doable.

The only thing I'm uncertain on are the seals. Other than inspecting them for dry rot or decomposition there doesn't seem to be any other test but to burn a roll of film. It seems some of the earlier models used a yarn seal. Anyway tricks to rejuvenate the yarn in place?

Yeah, overall it is not that difficult to do basic cleaning of surfaces on TLR's.
Do not be as aggressive with cleaning the lens elements and mirror as this person.
Do not flush the shutter blades with fluid!!! If the shutter has a problem it should be taken apart and cleaned.
Yeah, the only real way to test seals is to put a roll of film in the camera. Yarn is commonly used for the seals ... in most cases compressed yarn seals still work ok, it may leak if parts of it are missing.

Well the toy came in and initial impressions are I made a good buy. Definitely needs cleaning, but the camera came in the original leather cover, so the outside is of the camera itself is pristine. The lenses and focus screen have accumulated dust, but no scratches or fungus. Focus is smooth and operating, and the seals "look" good. The shutter is sluggish if it even works. But other than that I don't think it will take much to get it going. Camera also came with 2 Avigo flashes, a box of flashbulbs, and instruction manual.

I'm slightly confused the lenses are a little different in this camera then the video. The outside ring has three notches. Wondering if the lens still screws out or if I need to fabricate a tool to fit the three notches?
20240318_115926.jpg

Last edited:
Because????
If the shutter is dirty inside and on the blades, flushing it with a fluid will just move the crap somewhere else within the shutter.
This really is not a solution to a sticky shutter ... trust me I know ... I used to do this in the early days when I was restoring cameras, and it is always became a very temporary "fix".

If the shutter is dirty inside and on the blades, flushing it with a fluid will just move the crap somewhere else within the shutter.
This really is not a solution to a sticky shutter ... trust me I know ... I used to do this in the early days when I was restoring cameras, and it is always became a very temporary "fix".

I went ahead and ordered a spanner, so once I get the lenses off I'll decide if I need to go further or risk the quick fix. I may get so aggravated that the lighter fluid and a match will solve the problem permanently. LOL

Are those three notches bayonet mounts for hoods and filters?
No idea, the video above and the exploded drawing don't even show them. Googled further on the Copal-MXV assembly and found some more detailed instructions. I still can't tell for sure the purpose of the 3 slots. I was able to clean up a little crud on the lens and found two small slots, 180 degrees opposite for a spanner, do I'll likely try that first. Apparently the shutter may just be stuck by some dummy (no need to identify him), not knowing what he was doing pushing buttons. If the M/X lever is pushed at the wrong time with the self timer lever, it can cause the shutter to lock.

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered a spanner, so once I get the lenses off I'll decide if I need to go further or risk the quick fix. I may get so aggravated that the lighter fluid and a match will solve the problem permanently. LOL
If you need any help ... I can give you a hand ... I think I even have a Yashica-Mat lying around in parts somewhere upstairs.

If you need any help ... I can give you a hand ... I think I even have a Yashica-Mat lying around in parts somewhere upstairs.
Thank you. Sent you a DM

Most reactions

New Topics

Back