Bought a Tamron SP A08 200-500mm F/5-6.3 LD AF IF Di Canon Lens

RowdyRay

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have one or used one? One popped up on Craigslist for a good price. Nobody replied earlier and couldn't find anything negative about the lens, so I nabbed it.

Stepfather bought it for his mother. Too heavy for her, and only used a few times. It shows. Not a mark on it. Original box, paperwork, hood and carry case. Beautiful lens. Got it for 350.00. Several have sold for less on Ebay, but not complete or as clean as this one. Happy with the price.

Looked at this same lens at a pawnshop 2 weeks ago. Beat to crap. You could flex the middle part of the lens. Functioned, but something was worn out. 299.99. Wouldn't budge on the price. Passed. Glad I did.

It's about 5 F right now and took a few handheld shots. Impressed. One video said the Tamron 1.4X teleconverter worked well with it. May watch for one of those. Can't wait for spring and really play with it.

If anyone has experience or advice with this lens, let me know.

Used Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6.3 SP AF Di LD (IF) Lens AF08C-700

Last edited:
Anyone have one or used one? One popped up on Craigslist for a good price. Nobody replied earlier and couldn't find anything negative about the lens, so I nabbed it.

Stepfather bought it for his mother. Too heavy for her, and only used a few times. It shows. Not a mark on it. Original box, paperwork, hood and carry case. Beautiful lens. Got it for 350.00. Several have sold for less on Ebay, but not complete or as clean as this one. Happy with the price.

Looked at this same lens at a pawnshop 2 weeks ago. Beat to crap. You could flex the middle part of the lens. Functioned, but something was worn out. 299.99. Wouldn't budge on the price. Passed. Glad I did.

It's about 5 F right now and took a few handheld shots. Impressed. One video said the Tamron 1.4X teleconverter worked well with it. May watch for one of those. Can't wait for spring and really play with it.

If anyone has experience or advice with this lens, let me know.

I don't know about the lens, but the 150-600 zoom lens are impressive ... Sigma is around $800

My wife has this lens.
She likes it. It is much lighter than most uber zoom lenses, so she finds it easier to handle.
The image quality is pretty good for the price ... it is not the fastest at focusing, but it would cost much more to get the newer Tamron.

I don't know about the lens, but the 150-600 zoom lens are impressive ... Sigma is around $800

I know. Even used, expect to pay in the 600.00 range. Been watching. Tamron is slightly lower. First version is going for around 500.00.

My wife has this lens.
She likes it. It is much lighter than most uber zoom lenses, so she finds it easier to handle.
The image quality is pretty good for the price ... it is not the fastest at focusing, but it would cost much more to get the newer Tamron.

Good to know. Now, just have to get out and see what I can do with it.

Congrats on a good deal.

Thanks. Hoping it was worth it.

She has the A-mount version which is screw driven ... I would not put a 1.4x on that if AF speed is required ... not sure how the EF drive version would handle it ... actually I would only put a (matching) teleconverter on a fixed focal length lens, but that is just my opinion.

Sorry for the late reply. Normally I wouldn't. Several early reviews tested name brand TC's with this lens. The Tamron 1.4 did the best. Still not enough to make me buy one. Then another member, think it was jcdeboever, used one with his macro lens. Just picked up a Tamron 90mm.

If I can find one for a decent price, it could serve a couple purposes. What have I got to lose? A little time and effort. Pretty sure I can resell it with little or no loss.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back