Bought my 1st DSLR

I've been practicing now with the camera for the past few weeks and I've been trying to read a lot of information on the internet as well as watch videos. I love the camera and am just trying to learn how to take great photos. I feel like I haven't really taken any great shots yet. When first starting out, did anyone have that feeling of trying to figure out what to shoot? I feel like there's no "cool" stuff around my house so I'm stuck on what to photo. I'm going on a cruise in a week so luckily the Caribbean should present some great photo opportunities.
So then what do people that live in the Caribbean take pictures of if there's nothing interesting around a persons home? Interesting can be as close as getting down on the ground or up on a chair for a new perspective.

i feel like there is not much to shoot around where i live but if i want to drive a bit i can find good stuff to shoot. i got my camera when i was living in Memphis tennessee on a lot of land. found some cool stuff to photo around where we lived, nothing special but just stuff i though would make a good photo like some of these i have posted, these were some of the fist photos i took that i liked. there of nothing special.. but i thoght they were good at the time. i wish i had not processed them the way i did but i did not know what i was doing and wanted to make them look cool ...

i found a bunch of insects, dragon flys, butterflys and what not and had fun snapping photos of them.. went out to a park and saw some cool birds. found my self chasing birds around the park.. they also had bison at the park.. at home we also had humming bird feeder and there were always hummers all over the place. right from the start i realized i enjoyed trying to shoot wild life, 12+ years or so later i finally got a lens with enough zoom do shoot wild life and found i was good at bird photography.. i got some really good images form the start and some really bad ones. i remember going out and shooting 500 photos a day and maybe liking 1-5 of the photos and scrapping the rest..

some times you just have to shoot stuff that you say well that looks kind of interesting. shoot it from many different angles, it takes a while to get good. personally i suck at shooting landscapes but i never really practice those much.. i mainly just do my wild life these days and a few other things here or there.. i might start shooting some flowers too. seems easy enough and its something else to do over just the wild life..

cool sky and feild (2).jpg Dark trees and vine.jpg

I've been practicing now with the camera for the past few weeks and I've been trying to read a lot of information on the internet as well as watch videos. I love the camera and am just trying to learn how to take great photos. I feel like I haven't really taken any great shots yet. When first starting out, did anyone have that feeling of trying to figure out what to shoot? I feel like there's no "cool" stuff around my house so I'm stuck on what to photo. I'm going on a cruise in a week so luckily the Caribbean should present some great photo opportunities.

Google is your friend in this regard. Do some searches for local attractions and events, I think you'll be surprised how much stuff is out there that you can take pictures of, places that you've lived next too for years but have never seen.

Most reactions

Back