Bought my Camera but what Software

HotWire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yeap just like the title says lol

I went and spent near 1k on my camera, extra lens, bag, a uv filter, 8g card, but then I started to think "Hmmm what am I missing?"... Then Whaaaam!!!! Oh yeah editing Software....:lmao: So any suggestions as to which program? I have never and I mean never used any photo editing software. But I've used MS Paint :confused:

But all messing around aside. I would like to keep cost down but want something good. Soooo is Photoshop the only contender still?

Mahalo

Well you can check out lightroom. Also GIMP is free and I hear it is a lot like photoshop. Of course CS4 has everything you want and more but also cs5 is coming soon. If you are a student though cs4 can be had for 199 and 299 if you're in high school. GL
TJ

Yeap just like the title says lol

I went and spent near 1k on my camera, extra lens, bag, a uv filter, 8g card, but then I started to think "Hmmm what am I missing?"... Then Whaaaam!!!! Oh yeah editing Software....:lmao: So any suggestions as to which program? I have never and I mean never used any photo editing software. But I've used MS Paint :confused:

But all messing around aside. I would like to keep cost down but want something good. Soooo is Photoshop the only contender still?

Mahalo
Look at Adobe Photoshop Elements 8, to get started.

Adobe has an Education Store and if you qualify as a higher education student, you can get Photoshop CS4 Extended ($1000 retail) for $200, or Photoshop Lightroom ($300 retail) for $99.

The hot setup would be to have Lightroom and CS4 Extended (or Elements), they compliment each other.

I use Lightroom and Photoshop and truth be told I use Lightroom most often. I got both licenses when I was still in college but my alumni association provides upgrades for reduced costs still so I make sure to get the latest versions.

Lightroom is basically an organized and slightly more basic photoshop. It encapsulates just about everything you'll ever use and has a fantastic Library system.

Keep in mind your camera should come with some software that will easily handle all basic edits (saturation, sharpness, cropping, etc). I'd recommend Lightroom otherwise, as far as buying something.

I think you will be fine with MS Paint :lol:

Keep in mind your camera should come with some software that will easily handle all basic edits (saturation, sharpness, cropping, etc). I'd recommend Lightroom otherwise, as far as buying something.
But seriously...this man speaks the truth. I love Lightroom! Try it before you buy it though because if you are looking for the same tools as photoshop then you will be sorry. They have a free trial on their website.

Edit:
AtlPikMan said:
Photoshop and Lightroom are the two i use the most. I tend to favor Lightroom more. If you'd like to give it a try the Latest Beta Version is free until March.

Adobe Labs - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

Wow, sweet! I will have to get my hands on that.

Lightroom. It is the single greatest software tool I've come across for photography. I LOVE it. I also us CS4. The combination is powerful, but I don't know that you need CS4 at this point.

I use Lightroom and Photoshop and truth be told I use Lightroom most often. I got both licenses when I was still in college but my alumni association provides upgrades for reduced costs still so I make sure to get the latest versions.

Lightroom is basically an organized and slightly more basic photoshop. It encapsulates just about everything you'll ever use and has a fantastic Library system.

I use lightroom more often as well but you kind of need both if you want to do any heavy editing.

You can download a CS4 trial as well if you want to try that out but its not an easy piece of software to use.

Thank you all so very much for the response. I will get this lightroom product. Just have to see what deal I can work on it price wise. lol.

Im not a student any longer as I just finished by AA (just so I had something lol, since it doesnt make a difference for me at this point) but I wonder if they have a similiar program that MS does with the military folks I shall see.

Mahalo all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back