Bought Nikon 610. How do to get the most out of my camera for video? Manual Lens?

HassanChop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Everyone,

Going to purchase Nikon D610 today and I would like to get the most out of this camera when it comes to video. I'm new to video dslr so guide me in the right direction please. I have not purchased any lens for the camera yet.

I've been reading that I can get a good manual lens for a great price to shoot video since there is no aperture adjustment in live view on the Nikon 610.

I'm won't be shooting any sports or fast action shots. I'll be doing video of my kids or everyday stuff. Maybe down the line weddings.

Someone recommended the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G but that was based off of a general lens and them not knowing that I'll be shooting video.

Any recommendations on glass or other tutorials on how to maximize my Nikon D610 for video would be great.

Thanks

I can't speak much on video, but the best way to get the most out of your camera in general is to learn everything about how to use it. Then practice what you have learned until it is second nature.

I bought my camera to shoot pictures. So I can't speak of video.

Sorry I might have posted to the wrong forum. I thought I posted to the DSLR Video forums in hopes of getting advise on the video aspect of my camera.

Hi Hasan - you posted to the right forum. Some of us shoot video almost exclusively. You're right about not being able to adjust aperture in Live View with Nikon cameras. And the video autofocus is not the greatest, either - so manual cine style lenses such as the Rokinon 14mm T3.1, Bower 24mm T1.5, Bower 35mm T1.5 and Bower 85mm T1.5 are good options if you plan to shoot video.

That said, trying to follow fast-moving kids around with a full frame camera (with its extremely shallow depth of field) and no autofocus sounds like a recipe for frustration.

If you want to shoot family video of fast-moving subjects, you might want to consider getting a camera with fast autofocus and aperture control that continues to work when you switch to video mode, e.g., the new Panasonic GH4 or the Canon 70D.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful,

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back