bounce flash question

Please also realize that he does not indiscriminately "bounce the flash off the ceiling behind him". There is a choice to where the bounce comes from, and it is designed so there is a direction to the light. There's always a logic to the light. Also pay attention to how he does bounce off walls, etc., and how he sometimes uses the "black foamie thing" to flag direct light from the flash.

Read #2

Thanks, this is great. I am very inexperienced with flash and I'm keen to learn how to achieve a softer evening shot and this was great.. I am defintely going to start looking for a good bounce flash...

Well, light travels at the speed of light. I have a 550EX and have angled it up and backwards from the subject. It's great to just add that soft light that gives some fill flash. The ceiling and walls will bounce the flash back to the subject. Due to light fall off, with the distance, the fill flash is subtle. Great for maintaining the ambience of the room lighting. I usually drag the shutter, like 1/40th using this method.

Hold down the Alt key and type 248 on the number keypad (Alt-248) to make the degree symbol °.
Hmmm, I use ALT+0176.

° Hey, one less keystroke. :thumbup:

back on topic.......

If you're in a spot where the ceiling is too high and a backwall is too far away and you don't have a Lurch standing behind you in a white dress shirt, you can use a collapsible reflector and place it behind you as you reverse fire the flash.

1035473008_jwmcP-XL.jpg

are you using a defused in that shot kundalini? , and how much do one of these collapsible reflectors go for

Hey I'm new! I'm learning to work with my flash as well, so thanks for the great advice on using your flash!

kundalini Thanks for the tip. I do love how you post up sample images on how to do things, on almost every response I've read from you. And to add to Davor's query on cost of reflectors, what size would be a good starting point?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back