What's new

Boundaries

Juga

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
1,291
Reaction score
400
Location
Charleston, SC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$image.webp
C&c please. Thanks!
 
What do YOU expect a viewer to get from this image?
 
What do YOU expect a viewer to get from this image?

Not to be rude but I honestly dislike this question every time and every way it is asked. If you have to ask me then the message isn't clear but don't answer a question with a question just give me straight forward feedback. Maybe I am just being an 'a' hole but most people on here don't know how to give constructive criticism. I am a big boy and can handle truth. If I ever expect to grow and learn the art of photography then I need people to be straight forward with me. Also I do not believe every picture has to have deep meaning that provokes life changing thoughts. Likewise I understand the concept of composition which people often confuse for intent. Composition is simply the arrangement of visual elements within a frame.

Anyway pgriz to answer your question...It is simply a picture of a boundary I came across that I thought visually I can compose well with the beach, sunrise, and the numerous pilings lining the beach with the same sign. Maybe its deep meaning is that I should stop trying to grow as a photographer and have hit my boundary. What does it tell you?
 
To me this picture is well balanced. If you divide the pic from the centre and weigh each part you will notice that the big pole on the right balances rest of the poles on the left. The sign board appears little blueish. It must have been pure white in real life or slightly grey. Adjusting the white balance and playing with contrast will surely make this beautiful shot more attractive. Keep it up. Great job!
 
To me this picture is well balanced. If you divide the pic from the centre and weigh each part you will notice that the big pole on the right balances rest of the poles on the left. The sign board appears little blueish. It must have been pure white in real life or slightly grey. Adjusting the white balance and playing with contrast will surely make this beautiful shot more attractive. Keep it up. Great job!

Reading this pure relief. This is excellent feedback. Thank you, raaskohx10, thank you.
 
It looks like it's a bit tightly cropped and I'm not too keen on the intensity of the backlight, a bit overblown. Other than that I like it.
 
It looks like it's a bit tightly cropped and I'm not too keen on the intensity of the backlight, a bit overblown. Other than that I like it.

I actually didn't do any post-photo editing but thank you for the feedback. It is something that I can take and work with so much appreciated.
 
I like the composition, well balanced. A little blown in the highlights
For me, it needs a little more to qualify the sign, and a reason (other than purely aesthetic) for taking the shot.
Something that may have worked, would have been someone in the surf beyond the boundary - this would give the image a story and a "raison d'etre"... (IMO)
 
Since your pics are "OK to edit" therefore I'm editing it to show what I meant in my above c&c. Click on the pic for larger version:
 

Attachments

  • $final.webp
    $final.webp
    84.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
The sign drew me in to the photo, "Why's the beach closed?" I looked around, only to find the posts drew me straight back out of the photo. To be honest I am not sure if I like it or not, it's certainly different and a well composed photo.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
 
Since you are pics are "OK to edit" therefore I'm editing it to show what I meant in my above c&c. Click on the pic for larger version:

You definitely 'warmed' up the picture. Thanks again.
 
What do YOU expect a viewer to get from this image?

Not to be rude but I honestly dislike this question every time and every way it is asked. If you have to ask me then the message isn't clear but don't answer a question with a question just give me straight forward feedback. Maybe I am just being an 'a' hole but most people on here don't know how to give constructive criticism. I am a big boy and can handle truth. If I ever expect to grow and learn the art of photography then I need people to be straight forward with me. Also I do not believe every picture has to have deep meaning that provokes life changing thoughts. Likewise I understand the concept of composition which people often confuse for intent. Composition is simply the arrangement of visual elements within a frame.

Anyway pgriz to answer your question...It is simply a picture of a boundary I came across that I thought visually I can compose well with the beach, sunrise, and the numerous pilings lining the beach with the same sign. Maybe its deep meaning is that I should stop trying to grow as a photographer and have hit my boundary. What does it tell you?

I asked the question because the image didn't appear to be too interesting to me, and I was trying to figure out what was it that you were seeing that I was missing. From the way you took the image, it was obviously taken with intent, and I wasn't "getting it". That's why I asked.

As for giving constructive criticism, if you look at other comments I've made to other photographs, I do take the time to try to understand the image, and I do explain the reasons behind my reactions. With this image, I wasn't sure of what I "should" be seeing, so I asked.

As for deeper meanings... It is up to the photographer to arrange the elements to provide the clues to the eventual viewer as to what the purpose of the image is. Sometimes we succeed. Often we don't because we fail to step out of "our" viewpoint, and into the viewpoint of someone who has no connection to the scene we're photographing. As has been mentioned by several viewers of my own images, if I have to supply the context of an image, then it is not a very strong image in its own right. I'm on this forum for the same reasons you are - to share my little successes, to understand how people see and interpret images, and to learn how to be more effective in communicating intent as a photographer.

I apologize to you if you perceive my intent as hostile.
 
What do YOU expect a viewer to get from this image?

Not to be rude but I honestly dislike this question every time and every way it is asked. If you have to ask me then the message isn't clear but don't answer a question with a question just give me straight forward feedback. Maybe I am just being an 'a' hole but most people on here don't know how to give constructive criticism. I am a big boy and can handle truth. If I ever expect to grow and learn the art of photography then I need people to be straight forward with me. Also I do not believe every picture has to have deep meaning that provokes life changing thoughts. Likewise I understand the concept of composition which people often confuse for intent. Composition is simply the arrangement of visual elements within a frame.

Anyway pgriz to answer your question...It is simply a picture of a boundary I came across that I thought visually I can compose well with the beach, sunrise, and the numerous pilings lining the beach with the same sign. Maybe its deep meaning is that I should stop trying to grow as a photographer and have hit my boundary. What does it tell you?

I asked the question because the image didn't appear to be too interesting to me, and I was trying to figure out what was it that you were seeing that I was missing. From the way you took the image, it was obviously taken with intent, and I wasn't "getting it". That's why I asked.

As for giving constructive criticism, if you look at other comments I've made to other photographs, I do take the time to try to understand the image, and I do explain the reasons behind my reactions. With this image, I wasn't sure of what I "should" be seeing, so I asked.

As for deeper meanings... It is up to the photographer to arrange the elements to provide the clues to the eventual viewer as to what the purpose of the image is. Sometimes we succeed. Often we don't because we fail to step out of "our" viewpoint, and into the viewpoint of someone who has no connection to the scene we're photographing. As has been mentioned by several viewers of my own images, if I have to supply the context of an image, then it is not a very strong image in its own right. I'm on this forum for the same reasons you are - to share my little successes, to understand how people see and interpret images, and to learn how to be more effective in communicating intent as a photographer.

I apologize to you if you perceive my intent as hostile.

If you had offered this information first then my reaction wouldn't have been the same. I didn't perceive it as hostile. It was perceived as arrogant. I agree with you 100% that if the intent is not clear from the viewer then it isn't a strong image. Which is why I am on the forum to get creative and constructive feedback as I learn to be a photographer. I appreciate your response and helping me understand your viewpoint.
 
Juga, If you want to get good C&C here, is a thread to read. It will get more of the responses that you are wanting and less of the ones that you may find offensive or rude.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...e-your-posts-get-critiques-your-work-c-c.html

This is a great reference. Especially for me who is trying to get better at what we are all trying to accomplish. My outburst was uncalled for but it is amazing on how board and vague people can be on here and when pgriz posted it came off as arrogant. I can take flat out rude but I don't appreciate arrogance. With that said, his response doesn't give me the feeling that he is arrogant he was approaching this with his own style. It just clashed with my mindset. Either way, thank you for this link. I will follow your lead on this.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom