Boxing Ideas!!! Argh!!

Lukep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

I have scored a shoot with a boxer through a friend of a friend. He needs photos for his website and I need to expand my portfolio. But I am struggling to come up with original ideas.

I am just going to throw it out there to you folks and see what you think?

Sulley

Go with him to the ring. Spray him with mist of water to make it look like sweat and have him stand in a fighting position. Set up a strand or two of white christmas lights in the background and take out most of the bulbs. Dim the lights in the room, turn on the christmas lights, set up a softbox/beauty dish/flash pointing at him. Shoot with large aperture. Christmas lights will come out looking almost like camera flashes in background when they're all blurred out, he'll look like he's sweating in mid-fight with a crowd cheering and taking pics.

That's what I'd do :D

There are very few (maybe none) original ideas. Just about everything (in photography) has been done before. Don't be afraid to learn from what has been done before. Look through as many boxing/MMA/athlete photos as you can. Take note of what you like and what you don't.

When I think of cool shots for a boxer...I'm imagining high contrast, low key type shots. Probably something gritty with lots of sweat, maybe even blood.

Look up the 'Dave Hill Effect' and see if that's something that you might like. To do it properly, it's a combination of lighting style and processing style.
Getting That Cool Gritty Look Right in Camera Raw and Photoshop or Lightroom « Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider Blog » Photoshop & Digital Photography Techniques, Tutorials, Books, Reviews & More

Go with him to the ring. Spray him with mist of water to make it look like sweat and have him stand in a fighting position.
Get him oiled up before spaying the water. The water beads up and looks much cooler (think about those Gatorade commercials).

Go with him to the ring. Spray him with mist of water to make it look like sweat and have him stand in a fighting position.
Get him oiled up before spaying the water. The water beads up and looks much cooler (think about those Gatorade commercials).

Ya, I thought about adding that to my post.

Don't you mean get a topless model to oil him up while you take the shots :sexywink:

Don't you mean get a topless model to oil him up while you take the shots :sexywink:
why not just ditch the boxer and have the topless model rub it on herself

Idea 1- Have the boxer hold his gloves in his left hand, one glove down more than the other. Take the shot facing his back with him barely turning his head towards you. Possibly a flash in front of him and one to the left..

Idea 2- The boxer at one of the corners of the ring standing on the ropes facing the crowd with both arms on them, This shot would be looking down on him. I don't know how you would get up to that height?

Idea 3- Have the boxer be "punching" the camera but focus in on the hand.

Those made sense in my head, let me know if you're having trouble ;)

These are some good ideas folks I like them. What would you use for fake blood?

I was also thinking of having it sitting in the corner on a stool with the lights off and just one single flash above him lighting the corner

If the guy has a good physique, make him exercise a little bit before the shoot to get his muscles to pop, especially pushups, curls, and crunches. If he really wants to look ripped, have him lose some water weight as if he were cutting weight for a fight.

Also, I like B&W photos for boxers/fighters. Got any access to film equipment? I'd love to do a shoot like that with both digital and some Ilford Delta 100.

Last edited:
I'm thinkign something like this but more... grimey. A darker light. COver him in vasciline and dump a cup on water on his ehad so you can see beads of water trickle down like sweat. Maybe chuck in a bit of fake blood

Make it grimey is the only way I can describe it

Pose3-BG.jpg

Despite not having black and white equipment we went for a raging bull style. I used vasiline show up water I poured on him. (an diea from this thread) and i mixed honey with food colouring for blood (another great idea). Thanks so much for your help.

Thomas Stalker - a set on Flickr

set-72157626181342193

set-72157626181342193

Put him in a shopping cart with a strainer on his head while waving a spatula and a ladel in the air?

Wait, I've done that before. Not original. :-|

Most reactions

Back