Boy oh Boy... Pentax Lenses

Lynnzora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was bumbed out because for the shoot tomorrow, I've been searching for a place that I can rent lenses and can't find anyone who rents out Pentax... That's one reason that I can honestly say that I KINDA wish I didn't go with Pentax. Trying to get Pentax stuff is kinda hard. I have to order online. Anyway, I found a place with some used lenses... Which would you say are worth getting? Good lenses...? equip

IQ Zoom 150 SL Date $89
ZX-10 Body w/ 35-80mm f/4-5.6 $239
FA 28-105 f4-5.6
Optio 60
SMC FA 28-80 f3.5-5.6
ME Super w/ 50mm f2
LX
Pentax-M 80-200mm f4.5
AF160a Flash
FA- Eyelever Pentaprism Finder for LX
Zoom 90-WR
Winder ME II
ZX-5n Quartz Date
17-28 f3.5-4.5 F lens
35-80 f4-5.6 F lens

Some of these sound like they are for film cameras...

Last edited:
What kind of lens do you need? I suggest just buying the lenses you want if you can afford them. Pentax lenses (new & used) are readily available where I live in Canada.

OR you can move to Canada :)

Last edited:
If you don't mind manual focusing, you can get some nice older Pentax lenses on eBay for really low prices. Wouldn't really help for the shoot tomorrow though.

Why rent? As someone else said, you can pick up some good used glass for cheap with Pentax if don't mind manual. There are 3-4 decent used camera shops around me and they all have pentax lens'. You can get a prime 50mm manual f 1.2 up to f 2.0 for about $40-$60 or get a New auto SMC P-FA 50mm f 1.4 for under $200. Got mine for $120 used. Great lens for the price. My smc-m 50mm is my favorite lens.

What lense(s) do you already have and what are you going to shoot (portraiture? scenery? mixed?)

Right now I only have the 18-55mm kit lens and by wednesday I'll have the 50mm 1.4...

I do want to do portraits, head shots, modeling portfolios... I may do that occasion

For model shots, I have a lot of friends using the 50mm f1.4. Has great sharpness and good low light shooting capability. But for head shots I would prefer lenses having focal lengths more than 70mm to avoid distorsion. There is a lens on your list 80-200 which will suit to this focal gap but will need light, to shoot on high iso settings or to use a tripod. But it is a manual lens so might not be very usable. So FA 28-105 or 28-80 will be more usable for you(both are auto lenses).

My last lens purchase had been on my wish list for some time, but I should've bought it much earlier. For portraits and head shots, one of the best lenses in my gear is now the Pentax 77mm f/1.8 Limited. It is so sweet. All metal construction, top of the line image quality, creamy bokeh, and the focusing ring is smooth as butter. It's kind of pricey, but I feel it's probably worth every cent. I had also been using my 50mm f/1.4 and it does extremely well also and tack sharp. You won't be disappointed with the 50mm. For the price, it's probably the best buy in the Pentax lineup. If you have enough room, you can get some really nice shots with shallow DoF with a Sigma EX 70-200mm f/2.8.
Pentax | 77mm f/1.8 Limited Autofocus Lens (Black) | 27980 | B&H

I'm looking forward to the new DA* 55mm 1.4

As for the list, yes some of those were cameras. Optio 60 is a point and shoot for instance.

Myself, I bought the kit lens to give me something to work with while I saved up to get the DA* lenses, starting with the 16-50 and then probably the 50-135

Most reactions

New Topics

Back