bracketing lots of photos

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Feel like this might be an obvious question, but I'm wondering how to bracket multiple photos (like 6-7). I have the auto-bracket feature on the camera, but it only can do 3 shots (I think?) ... do I just have to press buttons after the first three for more exposures, or is there a way to do all 7 at once? I'm just worried about accidentally moving the camera while I'm setting up a new exposure.

P90? Try utilizing the U1 and U2 modes.

Three frames spaced 2EV apart is probably adequate for most scenes, but sometimes you need more. I would like to share my method of shooting 5- and 9-frame brackets. This method makes use of User modes U1 and U2. After the initial setup (explained below), WHICH YOU ONLY DO ONCE, shooting an HDR is simple. You only need to make three quick adjustments to your camera before shooting:
(1) set the Mode to A
(2) set the Release mode to CH
(3) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments.

To set up U1 and U2 for a 9-frame bracket spaced 1 EV apart (YOU ONLY DO THIS ONCE):
* Set mode dial to A (Aperture priority)
* Set Shutter release mode = CH (continuous high speed)
* Custom setting e6 -> Bracketing order = Under, Meter, Over
* ISO = Auto
* Bracketing = 3F in 1.0 EV increments
* turn the Exposure comp dial to -3 EV
* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U1
* turn the Exposure comp dial to +3EV
* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U2
You are done setting up U1 and U2. Be sure to set Exposure comp dial back to 0 EV, set bracketing to 0F, and set the Shutter release mode to whatever you normally keep it at.

Now say you stumble on a scene that calls for HDR.
(1) Set the Mode to A
(2) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments
(3) set the release mode to CH.
Now press the shutter release button three times:
(1) once with Mode dial set to U1
(2) once with Mode dial set to A
(3) once with Mode dial set to U2
This creates nine exposures in the following order (relative to normal exposure):
-4EV -3EV -2EV -1EV 0EV +1EV +2EV +3EV +4EV
After shooting, review the histograms and possibly select a subset of the nine shots, deleting others.
The procedure is similar for setting up a 5-frame bracket, and is easy to figure out once you understand the 9-frame setup.

Sorry, using the Rebel Canon T5i right now, borrowed from school

I just saw a video that used exposure compensation as a quick way (kind of?) to change things. Not sure though.

Last edited:
P90 has U1 and U2, doesn't it?

Yeah, I think so. But I'm not using it this weekend when I go on my trip :)

Although my camera will do auto-bracketing in groups of 3 based on whatever 'difference' amount I set, I don't use that feature. The reason is simple, I may not want to do my bracketing based on, say, shutter speed. I may want to change ISO, or aperture, or combinations of 2 or 3 to get what I want. One other reason I don't use auto bracketing is that my flash unit may not recharge fast enough to get a full flash, or even any flash, if the batteries are not fully charged.

A major advantage of having a digital camera vs the 'good old days' of film is that you can instantly see the result...both as a picture and a histogram. So, I don't have to take as many exposures compared to film as I know what I got...rather than guessing or hoping I got a good exposure.

As far as moving the camera while adjusting settings, the best solution is to mount your camera on a sturdy tripod, and using a 'delicate touch' to change your settings. Even if combining the images during post processing, most software should be capable of handling minor differences.

P90? Try utilizing the U1 and U2 modes.

Three frames spaced 2EV apart is probably adequate for most scenes, but sometimes you need more. I would like to share my method of shooting 5- and 9-frame brackets. This method makes use of User modes U1 and U2. After the initial setup (explained below), WHICH YOU ONLY DO ONCE, shooting an HDR is simple. You only need to make three quick adjustments to your camera before shooting:
(1) set the Mode to A
(2) set the Release mode to CH
(3) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments.

To set up U1 and U2 for a 9-frame bracket spaced 1 EV apart (YOU ONLY DO THIS ONCE):
* Set mode dial to A (Aperture priority)
* Set Shutter release mode = CH (continuous high speed)
* Custom setting e6 -> Bracketing order = Under, Meter, Over
* ISO = Auto
* Bracketing = 3F in 1.0 EV increments
* turn the Exposure comp dial to -3 EV
* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U1
* turn the Exposure comp dial to +3EV
* Setup Menu -> Save user settings -> U2
You are done setting up U1 and U2. Be sure to set Exposure comp dial back to 0 EV, set bracketing to 0F, and set the Shutter release mode to whatever you normally keep it at.

Now say you stumble on a scene that calls for HDR.
(1) Set the Mode to A
(2) set Bracketing to 3F in 1.0 EV increments
(3) set the release mode to CH.
Now press the shutter release button three times:
(1) once with Mode dial set to U1
(2) once with Mode dial set to A
(3) once with Mode dial set to U2
This creates nine exposures in the following order (relative to normal exposure):
-4EV -3EV -2EV -1EV 0EV +1EV +2EV +3EV +4EV
After shooting, review the histograms and possibly select a subset of the nine shots, deleting others.
The procedure is similar for setting up a 5-frame bracket, and is easy to figure out once you understand the 9-frame setup.

This is a pretty cool technique but why use auto ISO?

Most reactions

Back