Brand new Canon EF 70-200 f/4L lens -- C&C 2 shots

DerekSalem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright these are boring moon shots, but I wanted to test the quality of the lens. Both of these are *HANDHELD*. Let me know how you think they could be improved (other than Tripod -- I'll be using one tomorrow to hopefully improve on these shots. I honestly am just taking these for good wallpapers for the gaming rig haha)

Stats:
f/4
ISO100
1/200 shutter speed
Canon EOS Rebel T2i with Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS

1)
4480457177_dff1918155_b.jpg

2)
4481106184_711d829cb7_b.jpg

I don't think there's anything wrong with them. That lens has excellent IS (I miss it), and for such a bright object I don't think a tripod is that necessary.

For comparison here's a shot also handheld with my 70-300:

4481365104_267568edc7_b.jpg

I did lighten them up this morning so they're definitely a little better now. Did absolutely no PP before uploading them last night (besides cropping via Mac Preview lol I didn't even use PS to do it since it was like 2am).

Like I said I'll probably go out again tonight but this time with tripod and I'll take a good 50+ pictures. I wanna nail a few really good ones.

Went out again tonight and got about 20-30 pictures. This is the only one I really kept. This was post-PP (took in RAW) and post-crop (wish I could zoom a bit further in but still great quality IMHO).

Settings:
1/40s
ISO100
f/11
RAW - messed with contrast values and took off almost all noise reduction

4482936271_9fb1e71ff9_b.jpg

BTW the reason I cropped it like I did is that I made it desktop resolution (1920x1080). Looks fantastic as a wallpaper along with the other 2 =P

I wanted to get out there and snag a few shots while it was full this week, but I kept putting it off. Guess I will wait till next time. Great capture!

I wanted to get out there and snag a few shots while it was full this week, but I kept putting it off. Guess I will wait till next time. Great capture!

Thanks a lot! I actually like the third picture more than the other 2 (it's not *quite* full....makes for such better contrast IMHO).

Grand total of around 38 photos snapped over the 2 nights. They all look pretty similar lol even though I changed the settings for almost every single one.

Also: I've found my first problem with the new T2i body -- Adobe hasn't released the RAW settings yet. I can't open the CR2 RAW files in CS4 yet! =( I installed the Canon utility but it actually did a fantastic job. I did almost all the PP in the Canon utility and just a few small modifications in PS after it was converted to JPeg (basically only the crop). Found out the Canon utility is actually rated really well (they compare it to PS quite favorably). Definitely impressed!

Should mention the only reason I'm having this problem is because I managed to get the body about a month ago. For most places the body was just released so I'm sure Adobe will have the RAW data settings available for download pretty soon. They usually only take about 2 weeks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back