Brand new passionate photographer, seeking advice

wendyalana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Last edited:
You have to upload them to a site such as photobucket, flickr, imageshack, etc., and then copy the bulletin board/forum link, which will have

I'd train yourself before taking paid gigs. Learn your camera and post processing techniques before expecting compensation. Read the manual, browse some tutorials for lightroom, take some photos.

A digital SLR does not a pro photographer make.

I have the heart, soul and passion for the photos.

That's not enough. I read that you either have it or you don't :er:
You're born with it the skillz and somehow its awaken from inside of you and BAM! you're a photographer :)

OK, seriously though. You have to practice. You do have to have the eyes for it. You have to know certain rules. That's the start. Then you continue to improve with practice. There's omre to it but you get the idea.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
How long have you been doing photography? I'm VERY impressed by your work!

And I think a lot here will be too.

Last edited:

Last edited:
October 2010? ;) You've been busy. Imho more than a few of these are great images. I'd be interested to ask about how you did some of the shots.

The images you've presented have obviously been post-processed. If you did this post-processing, which looks quite good, why do you identify yourself as "not tech-savvy"?

You definitely don't look like a noob to me, and I suspect some may not believe you that you are. ;)

Last edited:
What I meant was in my opinion your work clearly is not "novice" level- some of it is quite good. I am new to the site as well but I suspect others will see your work and perhaps not believe you are so new. ;) Anyway, great job! And you have been busy.

So specifically when you say you are looking for technical info and "how to move to the next level," do you have something specific in mind? I'm sure the community here could answer most any technical question- and as for inspiration, well, that can't really be taught (but it appears you have it!).

Last edited:
The camera manual would be a good place to start. Learn the camera first and getting proper exposures, then work on not being quite so heavy handed with the post processing. I know it can be addictive, but less is often more (as I've heard a few times.) Maybe even turn the dial to M mode and just experiment with getting a good exposure. It's easy to learn, difficult to master.

I guess I don't have a specific question in mind. There is so much I want to know and so many conflicting opinions. Do I use flash or natural light?
Either one (or both) depending on the effect you want to have.
Is my equipment enough for right now?
Only you can answer that question. Your equipment is enough until you need it to do something that it can't do.
I don't shoot on manual, only auto. I don't follow or understand aperture, ISO etc. It get lost when it comes to that.
You should learn the relationship between ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. Check out the book "Understanding Exposure." It's a very good place to start. That being said, there's no need to shoot in manual mode all the time, either. People only care about the final product, not whether you had your camera set on Auto, P, Av, Tv, or M.
Should I take a Nikon specific course?
There's no need, just read your manual.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back