Brand new T4i. Not wowed. Please help

crotonmark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just bought the T4i body. It is my first DSLR. I used to shoot film with a canon eos 10s.
The lenses I have are the 50 mm 1.8 II and the 35-105 3.5/4.5
First the 50 mm gives me a contact error 1 so I guess it is dead.

I am not getting great shots and while I admin the problem is 90% me I need help

1- how do I learn how to use this camera?
2- what lenses do I need to start?
3- do I need the silent lens to shoot video? My zoom is awful because the camera picks up the sound of the lens motor

Thanks for the help

Mark

1) Read the manual, read a few guides online, and shoot the beejeebus out of the camera.

2) The ones you have. Until you learn how to use your camera, you're the one that needs improvement, not the lenses. A time for new lenses will come.

3) AFIAK, autofocus during video is generally not acceptable. You will be far better off using manual focus.

Thanks but I understand the camera was made to autofocus during video and that's why I thought I needed a silent lens

They make 2 lenses so far for the video autofocus.40mm and 18-135 zoom. STM is the designation. I have the 40mm pancake and it is pretty quiet but still shows up. I invested in a Rode shotgun mic and a Vanguard multi arm to get the mic away from the camera. Also check Canon to see if your camera needs new grips in the recall. If the 6th serial number is a 1 you will probably need to send it in at some point for a regrip. Canon picks up all the charges and they are saying 1 week turnaround. There is also a notice on the 40mm pancake but I have not had any problems with mine so far.

Camera not affected by recall. That's good news.
Maybe this is more camera than I can handle!!

crotonmark said:
Camera not affected by recall. That's good news.
Maybe this is more camera than I can handle!!

Only if you are a braindead zombie with a severe learning disability! Read the manual.... shoot... practice! Post shots here... we will tell you whats wrong, and how to fix.

Of course if you are not interested in a little work to learn the camera... then??

Ha. Ha. Thanks. I work hard to not be a brain dead zombie ;).
I want to do my best to learn this thing.

Since I no longer have a 50 mm lens - is that the first thing I should buy?

Don't get frustrated yet. You are going through what a LOT of people who go out and buy a shiny new DSLR go through. The camera is dumb as the hunk of plastic and glass it is. The beauty and benefit in owning a DSLR is in what YOU can do with it. Putting it in auto and pressing the button is just like putting a good point and shoot in auto and pressing the button. They do the exact same thing.
However, when you get a little bit of knowledge under your belt that dumb hunk of plastic and glass becomes a brilliant tool.
Start here with the tutorials to begin understanding how YOU create an image. Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials
One of the biggest immediate improvements you can make to your photographs is studying composition. It's simple, easy and can be a whole lot of fun!
Here's a great link for composition: Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.

Thanks MleeK. I don,t have a good eye so I don't see what can be a good shot
I will try the tutorials.

Do I need a 50mm

Thanks MleeK. I don,t have a good eye so I don't see what can be a good shot
I will try the tutorials.

Do I need a 50mm
You don't NEED a 50mm. The 50mm f/1.8 is usually the first lens everyone adds to their collection because of several things:
1. First it is a prime. Primes are the sharpest of all lenses. When a lens works across a zoom it has to compromise a little. Primes don't zoom, so no compromise.
2. It's a fixed f/1.8 which doesn't mean you can't use any other aperture, but that it will not change aperture for any reason. The kit lens is a 3.5-5.6 aperture. As you zoom it starts out as the lowest aperture and as you zoom the lowest aperture increases to f/5.6. That can make things difficult when you are learning if you dial in an aperture of 3.5, get your exposure and then zoom. It's totally changed and your image would be underexposed.
3. It's an f/1.8 lens and that gives you a taste of some low light ability, wide aperture/shallow depth of field and of creating some bokeh.
4. It's cheap! For it's price it's a pretty amazing lens.

That 50mm was what I had but it is giving mea connection error message. Your write up makes it seem to me that I should get it replaced?

That 50mm was what I had but it is giving mea connection error message. Your write up makes it seem to me that I should get it replaced?
Was it a new lens? or used?
I think it's a benefit to have a fixed aperture lens while you are learning, but it's not absolutely necessary. It's a nice little lens to have and for the price? You really can't beat it for sharpness.

AHHHH! I see!

If you feel you should invest in an additional lens-it's cheap and easy. If not? It's not a necessity and I really wouldn't worry about additional lenses until you find you NEED something!

MLeeK said:
AHHHH! I see!

If you feel you should invest in an additional lens-it's cheap and easy. If not? It's not a necessity and I really wouldn't worry about additional lenses until you find you NEED something!

So I could live with the 35/135?

Most reactions

Back