BRAND new to SLR photography

if that were my rig, i'd at very least add one more lens that can go a little wider. there are some situations where 75mm are going to make things really difficult.

if that were my rig, i'd at very least add one more lens that can go a little wider. there are some situations where 75mm are going to make things really difficult.

I think the OP bought the Kit with an additional telephoto zoom lens. I know, in the beginning, I was like .. hum .. what about the wide angle ... .. and later I saw the 2nd post from the OP in this thread ..and oh ...

Last edited:
ahh..lol i see that now. my fault for skimming through

yeah, i only got the 75-300 because it was $100 off with the camera. i will be getting the 50mm 1.8 and probably a wider angle lens too soon. any recommendations for decent starters?

Forget the 50MM F/1.8 and get the Sigma 24-60 F/2.8.

what is the point of this lens? sounds like it's just really fast. what is that ideal for? night shots? action shots?

Both of those, but mostly portraits. Its a great portrait lens, especially on a cropped sensor.

Both of those, but mostly portraits. Its a great portrait lens, especially on a cropped sensor.

oh, i dont care about portraits. i wanna do more outdoor/nature stuff to start with. what kinda lens do i need? id like something i can take wide angle shots with, perhaps a kinda fisheye feel?

I would recommend reading the camera manual a few times and get really familiar with how your equipment works. the manual usually has some basic photography theory. I suggest reading an online book on photography www.commonsensephotography.com and the companion site www.macro-photography.org for starters. It has some good recommendations for the type of lenses and what you need. I would suggest the 17-40mm 4.0 canon lens for starters. Good quality and not a bad price for a top of the line lens. It is excellent for outdoor photography. Good luck!

sorry cranium some one else already answered what you asked me, but i'm curious what part of the bay are you from? I live in Martinez myself and work in SF.

Lens such as fisheye and also extreme telephoto are very limiting, costly and after the first rush of creativity with them tend to hide in your gear bag more than on the camera, you say your into nature stuff, a decent tele or zoom lens is a must have, but unless you can get a couple of feet from the subject I'd steer clear of the fisheye. H

Lens such as fisheye and also extreme telephoto are very limiting, costly and after the first rush of creativity with them tend to hide in your gear bag more than on the camera, you say your into nature stuff, a decent tele or zoom lens is a must have, but unless you can get a couple of feet from the subject I'd steer clear of the fisheye. H

cool. i did order the 75-300m, so that should be decent for zooming. i just wanted some cool wide angle shots i could take of roads and things, so thats why i was asking about the fisheye. is fisheye the same as wide angle?

i wanna take shots like this...

2944557222_bcc1729476_o.jpg

not sure if the bends are from the lens or a photo stitching program.

The above picture was taken by a mobile phone and stitched it together (according to the picture owner).

If you like wide angle type of view, you may want to take a look at those ultra wide angle lens such as Sigma 10-20mm, EF-S 10-20mm, Tokina 11-16mm and I believe Tamron also has one as well.

So you want to take pictures that look like those from this site?

http://www.10-20mm.com/

Note: BTW, forum rules do not allow post picture not belongs to you, but you can put the URL to the picture instead.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back