Brand new to the game!

JimmyAtlantis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took a couple classes in high school over 10 years ago. I didn't retain anything from it. Picked up a 350D last week with 18-55mm kit and 70-300mm USM. I decided to pick up a 430ex tonight and I took this shot of my wife.

172941337_bf566e1350_o.jpg

EXIF: 1/200, f5.6, 42mm, ISO 400

Flash mode: ETTL
Manual Zoom 50mm

The flash was pointed dirctly at her. I have no idea how this thing works, but I think it worked for this one. I have a portraight shoot slated for 3 weeks from now for my boss so I'm here to take any and all criticism and to learn from it.

i think i would have been better to bounce the flash off the ceiling? but i am relatively new at all this... and maybe add some contrast with levels and curves adjustment for some boost x nice caqmera btw!!

jemmy said:
i think i would have been better to bounce the flash off the ceiling? but i am relatively new at all this...

I was thinking I couldn't when I shot the pic (vertical), but now that I think about it I certainly could've and would've had I figured it out then.:thumbup:

If i were you rather than get info in bits and pieces like this at first... I would find some on line tutorial in portait shooting. I think there is way to much to pick up one piece at a time. I don't mean there is that much wrong with your shot I mean there are that many things to know about shooting portraits.

That said. Bounce light from a short distance makes the light fall down very straight creating a lot of shadow under things like noses and chins glasses ect. You would be better off to back up so your light could spread and use a defuser of some kind to soften up the light.

The crop is a little tight for me, but some people like it that way. Not too many women want to see the pours in their face though. Sharp is nice but there is a thing as too sharp in portraits. All of this is just one view. Before I accepted anyone's i would find a good tutorial and read it, then shoot shoot shoot. Nothing beats informed experimentation.

Just my opinion you will get plenty more im sure

A good rule of thumb is to use a slight telephoto for portraits. That would be from 50mm to 85mm on that camera. Wide angles distort the face. You would have to stand back, which would also help with the flash issue, as mysteryscribe mentioned. Best not to use on-camera flash unless you bounce or only use it as fill. Straight on light does not model the face well.

mysteryscribe said:
If i were you rather than get info in bits and pieces like this at first... I would find some on line tutorial in portait shooting. I think there is way to much to pick up one piece at a time. I don't mean there is that much wrong with your shot I mean there are that many things to know about shooting portraits.

That said. Bounce light from a short distance makes the light fall down very straight creating a lot of shadow under things like noses and chins glasses ect. You would be better off to back up so your light could spread and use a defuser of some kind to soften up the light.

The crop is a little tight for me, but some people like it that way. Not too many women want to see the pours in their face though. Sharp is nice but there is a thing as too sharp in portraits. All of this is just one view. Before I accepted anyone's i would find a good tutorial and read it, then shoot shoot shoot. Nothing beats informed experimentation.

Just my opinion you will get plenty more im sure

Well... this was easy for me. EXACTLY my "opinion" too. All of it.

Pete

Most reactions

Back