brand spanking new

tiffanylee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm really new! I just decided to go out in the yard the other day with my niece and here are some photos. I just used my Sony Cybershot. Nothing Fancy, but I want to get into photography more and upgrade to a nicer SLR camera soon. Also, they are edited by me, don't be afraid to criticize.

4r6tm9.jpg

4qlajc.jpg

2pr66g7.jpg

wqv8ea.jpg

2la333o.jpg

There is just too much in each picture that needs work. I'll give you some general C&C based on all of them..

The pictures are not level (some of the angles you appear to have done on purpose, but there isnt really any reason to do so). Try to get them as level as possible. You can do minor edits in PP to fix minor tilt.

The lighting is harsh causing the photos to wash-out and overexpose. Try shooting during the golden hours (Google "Golden Hours in Photography")

The subjects head is cut off in many of the photos. Try pulling back just a little. You do want to fill the frame, but don't crop off important parts. (the head, arms, elbows, hands, fingers, if they are critical to the photo. A good rule of thumb, don't crop off the head.. Don't crop fingers if there is a hand, don't crop hands if there are elbows, don't crop feet if there are knees, etc)

Put your focus right on her eyes. The eyes are the gateway to the soul, let us in. ;)

Please feel free to try again and repost. She is a cute model and seems very happy to be on that end of the lens.

No problem. And welcome to TPF.

Welcome to the forums!

Let me start with the bad... I am not a fan of the processing. I think that you took a beautiful little girl in a cute outfit and threw the whole thing out the window for the sake of some "processing." I think the colors would have been fine the way they were shot. In this series the processing is all over the place. If you had stuck with a theme for a reason it would have made them more visually streamlined. With the processing all over the place it is hard to wrap your head around it.

In almost every shot a body part is cut off. In the first one you have her feet in the shot but not her whole head. You even have "extra space" at her feet. In two her head, feet and part of her dress are cut off. Also, the angle here is just weird. The background is leaning one way. She is leaning the other. Something needs to be "straight." In 3, the head, back and foot are all cut off. 5 the head and dress are cut off.

Number 4 is probably the best shot! However, the side of her face is not well lit. All focus is lost on the cute expression on her face because of the processing. If I were to desaturate anything here it would be the dress. That would bring the eyes where it belongs. On her face and expression.

It would be really cool to see the unedited file next to the edited version.

Now, with all of that bad stuff out of the way. For a P&S you did a pretty good job. You have a great subject that does not mind being in front of the camera. Keep shooting her and get her even more used to the camera and you will start developing some great shots! Pay attention to the details. Make sure to get all of your subject or purposely zoom in where you want to be. A lot of these shots have "shots" within them. Try playing around with a crop tool that has a built in Thirds rule.

If you are really interested in getting into photography I suggest you stop by your local library, bookstore or favorite etailor and pick up a couple of books. One would be "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson and "Learning to See Creatively" also by Peterson.

Good luck and keep shooting!

Dang Nikon beat me to it! I guess I should not have stopped in the middle of writing my post to take a couple of phone calls. Oh well. I guess you get the point =) I did not just rewrite what he said! When I was writing mine there was no responses!

Dang Nikon beat me to it! I guess I should not have stopped in the middle of writing my post to take a couple of phone calls. Oh well. I guess you get the point =) I did not just rewrite what he said! When I was writing mine there was no responses!

Sureeee... That's what they all say! :)

Sureeee... That's what they all say! :)

hrmmm 14 minutes between the times stamps. Me thinks you were at the window of my truck peeping in copying what I wrote while I was on the phone! stalker!

hrmmm 14 minutes between the times stamps. Me thinks you were at the window of my truck peeping in copying what I wrote while I was on the phone! stalker!

Nah.. I iz h4ckz0r3d in. A11 y0u5 b4s3 4r3 b3l0ng t0 m3!

hahahaaa... what would be best for a beginner slr camera?

thanks for the advice! :)

originals:

3088h7b.jpg

dwt5dc.jpg

15h0aaa.jpg

2vkchu9.jpg

258p5wn.jpg

I'm also beginner who just joined. I dont know how much you are looking to spend but I price shopped a small bit. I only looked at Canons and I ended up getting the t2i package. I shopped around for warrantys too b/c well I have a 2yr old and I'm clutzy, need I say more lol! I paid $1100 and that included the $200 warranty that I think (i'd have to look it up for sure) lasts for 10yrs? or 5? cant remember. Covers everything but water damage. I got the camera, 18-50mm lens, 55-250mm lens, camera bag, and a memory card. Just recently going coupon cutting I did notice this package down to like 750? Hope this helps :) I have found it to be a good starter camera. Not too expensive and am def learning a lot from it :)

This is a very cute little girl but you need to think more about the shot you are taking.
-very busy backgrounds
-underexposed
-composition is lacking
Take a good look at the link I gave you and do some of your own research.

Most reactions

Back