What's new

Brick Lighthouse

Murray Bloom

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 6, 2007
Messages
440
Reaction score
85
Location
Baltimore, MD
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Another Block Island shot. An interesting thing about this building is that it was recently moved about fifty yards - intact - when the cliff on which it sat eroded.

BrickLighthouseb.jpg
 
Beautiful frame and colors.
The composition is great and the place is so beautiful-very sharp image.
Well Done!
Keep up,
Nir .B.
 
Very nice, good job.

Regards,
Peter Witham
 
Very nicely done. HDR by any chance, or did the lighting just really cooperate with you?
 
Very nicely done. HDR by any chance, or did the lighting just really cooperate with you?
Nope. No HDR on this one, just a ton of post-production in what has become sort of a style of mine.
 
Would you mind elaborating on your post production? I'd really like to learn.
 
Very nice picture! Interesting thing about the lighthouse being moved. There is a lighthouse on the Outer Banks in North Carolina that was moved for an eroding sandbar if I remember correctly. I even got to see pictures of the moving project. Very cool!
 
Would you mind elaborating on your post production? I'd really like to learn.
Okay, here's the high points.

First thing is to adjust Levels to ensure a full tonal range. Next is a trip through Shadow/Highlight (advanced settings) to condense the tones toward the middle of the spectrum. At this point, I try for something that looks heavy but not oversaturated. This is followed by local clean-up, such as closing holes in the clouds, removing bare patches from the ground and the occasional piece of trash. Then some selective burning and dodging. Also cloned out some background clutter to the right of the building.

Now, I run it through Levels again, and sometimes Curves, to rebalance things if needed. A touch of sharpening with Unsharp Mask, and if I'm posting on the web, treatment with Digital Velvia.

Actually, I did a lot more to this one, but that's the basics. Hope this helps.
 
Thanks, yes it does. Certainly somewhere to start from for some of my own post-processing attempts.
 
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that it all begins with an interesting subject and good exposure. Shooting in RAW helps, too.

This one was shot with a D200/17-55mm. 1/45s@f11 at 22mm, handheld.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom